WhiteCap 32 / 64 bit Information

Discussion forum for WhiteCap users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

BTT
Administrator

WhiteCap 32 / 64 bit Information

Post by BTT »

WhiteCap 32 / 64 bit Information.

The following has been provided by Andy (SoundSpectrum) in order to answer / clarify some recently asked questions on the forum.

The binaries on OS X include both architectures and on Windows, 64-bit is only installed if the installer sees that you have a 64-bit system. In the event that there's a bug where the installer isn't properly detecting a 64 bit windows system, then that's something we would want to look at and fix but would be surprised if there was an issue there.

Couple of notes concerning Windows 64-bit that could confuse some users:

- iTunes on Windows isn't 64-bit (despite its title). Apple only calls it that because it installs 64-bit drivers.

- On standard 64-bit Windows setups, the 32-bit version of WMP is what's launched by default. The 64-bit version has to be explicitly started via 'C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe' (vs 'Program Files (x86)').

- WMP (64-bit as explained above) is currently the only way to run 64-bit under Windows. The Standalone currently only targets 32-bit although we could target both if we chose. This was chosen for logistical reasons since in Windows there's no way to fold multiple architectures into a single app file (like in OS X), so there'd have to be Standalone.x86.exe and Standalone.x64.exe lying around and linked properly to the Start menu shortcuts (note, for example, how there's two G-Force and Aeon dlls). I appreciate that people may feel strongly about this and want to be running 64-bit Standalone (although there's zero negligible performance reasons to do so), so SoundSpectrum *could* do that if enough people wanted it (but it's real work for us that doesn't get people anything measurable).

- 64-bit on OS X requires 10.6 or later *and* the OS install being 64-bit (which requires a core 2 duo or better).

The more I think about it, the more I'm guessing people want to be able to read "64-bit" on the WhiteCap splash screen. Yes or No?

Regards BTT

fonsdavid

Post by fonsdavid »

I seem to have a different kind of problem...
I am running a 32bit windows computer and yet the installer keeps giving me the 64bit version. I have already tried this program on my desktop (which is 64bit) and really enjoyed. However, I use my laptop much more than my desktop.
What should I do?

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello fonsdavid

The installer should automatically detect and install either 32 or 64 bit. If that's not happening for you then contact:

http://www.soundspectrum.com/support/contact.html
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.