Is there a Whitecap 5?

Discussion forum for WhiteCap users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

willrob

Is there a Whitecap 5?

Post by willrob »

In the Darkroom Read me file, there is this info:

G-Force or WhiteCap must be installed.
Without G-Force or WhiteCap, SoundSpectrum Darkroom has no rendering "engine" and is not be able to produce video output. You must have at least version 3.0.1 of G-Force or at least version 5.0 of WhiteCap installed.

I noticed today that I can't select Whitecap as the rendering engine for Darkroom. I only have version 4.7.4 (for Macintosh), which is the only version on the web site. I can run Whitecap from within iTunes, but can 't get Darkroom to see it in the iTunes plug-ins folder. Should it be moved elseware?

willrob

Post by willrob »

A follow up to my own post:

The new versions of G-Force, WhiteCap and Darkroom (for the Macintosh) get installed in various locations. Both G-Force and WhiteCap have a "for i-Tunes.bundle" placed in the iTunes plug-ins folder within my user Library. Both work as expected within iTunes.

In that same user Library, within the Application Supports folder, is another
folder called SoundSpectrum, within which sits the main G-Force folder (home of scripts, flowfields, colormaps, etc). Also located here is a G-Force.bundle. It is this engine which Darkroom is working with. I do not seem to have a similar WhiteCap.bundle (only the iTunes version).

Orbstah

Post by Orbstah »

yes it is rob and that why there is no engine for whitecap coz there aint one in there and the itunes whitecap bundle wont work if you put it in there

I seem to remember whitecap being standalone ?
I'll come to bed once i've seen everything in G-Force.

willrob

Post by willrob »

Yes, I have a WhiteCap stand alone, similar to the G-Force stand alone application. But in the previous version of Darkroom, I was able to select WhiteCap as my engine—it appeared in the pop-up menu. Now I can't. I've never, to my knowledge, had a WhiteCap engine, only the iTunes plug-in, which I assume was being used in place of the engine by the previous Darkroom. The current Darkroom doesn't see it. More furstrating is the fact it doesn't use scripts anymore, and will only run in random mode—even though it won't do anything unless you first select a script.

willrob

Post by willrob »

The official response from Andy (in the bug report area) is that WhiteCap 5 is in beta testing and there won't be WhiteCap support in Darkroom until it's released.