no response to audio interface?

Discussion forum for G-Force users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

mlgueld

no response to audio interface?

Post by mlgueld »

hi folks, apologies if this is a stupid question. I got a new computer and installed my old Sound Spectrum visualizers on it (I think from 2016 or so) and they didnt work like they used to, so I resubscribed and got G-Force and Whitecap.

I didn't install Audio Cable because I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 audio interface that I figured would cover it, and I didn't want to clutter things up if I didn't have to (probably a tiny bit of clutter, but still). The Focusrite shows up as an option for audio source, but when I play my synthesizer through it, I get no response from the visualizers, even after cranking the response rate and all volume controls. the loopback system audio through the interface also provides no response.

Do I need to install Audio Cable? in the past I could just select the audio source and it would work. what am I missing?

thanks for any help!

juxtiphi

Re: no response to audio interface?

Post by juxtiphi »

I have a similar issue, G-force sees the the audio card but does not hear it. I installed their cable and it didn't work either. In the past I never really had a problem with g-force not seeing my audio card but now I don't know what to do.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello mlgueld and juxtiphi

I have today (Saturday) sent an email to Brandon at SoundSpectrum asking him to respond to this issue.
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

BTT wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:02 am
Hello mlgueld and juxtiphi

I have today (Saturday) sent an email to Brandon at SoundSpectrum asking him to respond to this issue.
Let me clarify, The plugin works within winamp but the standalone only sees my audio card it does not hear it there is always an error when trying to utilise the "what you hear option".

mlgueld

Post by mlgueld »

thanks BTT! I'll also clarify, the sound generator in the standalone app makes everything move like it should, and the iTunes component works. though I ran into a snag when I tested the iTunes bit. it was my first time running iTunes on this computer, I didn't have my music library on here yet. the track was playing and the visualizer was visibly working, but I had no sound! I still had system sounds, VLC, and web sound from Youtube etc, but none from iTunes. I went into Windows sound device settings and disabled all the bits related to my Nvidia graphics card (they were listed as disconnected beforehand) and all of a sudden I had iTunes sound. I got excited and tested G-Force again, but alas it still doesn't respond to the Focusrite.

b.dwall
SoundSpectrum

Post by b.dwall »

Windows and Mac both lock down the audio mix (what you hear through the speakers), restricting the ability to record or 'channel' the system audio. In my opinion, it has to do with an obsession with DRM that has been codified as industry standard. I have run into the same issue with my audio interfaces (Focusrite and AudioFuse). There are a number of ways to get around this limitation.
- Use a USB/monitor microphone as your audio source. It does not affect the quality of the visuals, and you will be able to also visualize the room audio as well. This is the developers go-to method of using the visualizers.
- Try physically routing your audio signal back into your computer's 'audio-in' jack and ensure that only G-Force is 'monitoring' the routed audio.
- Purchase professional audio routing software, or look for an open source solution. There are different options available depending on your OS. Look for tutorials online that reveal tips and tricks to gaining access to your computer's audio mix.

The Standalone application will allow you the greatest flexibility visualizing various audio sources, and is not tied to a specific media player or screensaver process. For Windows users, we made the SoundSpectrum Audio Cable to help route audio. There's a set up process, and it's not for everyone. For instructions on enabling default audio as an Input in the Standalone, go here. Hope that helps some.
SoundSpectrum.com | PLAN.tools | ArtIsInFormation.org

mlgueld

Post by mlgueld »

checking in, does this issue still exist? I'm thinking of buying this again, but I can't if it's still like this

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

mlgueld wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:50 pm
checking in, does this issue still exist? I'm thinking of buying this again, but I can't if it's still like this
Hi migueld

I don't know why but I am no longer experiencing this issue. It just started working again.