Feature request: easier to remove elements I don't like

Discussion forum for G-Force users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

cjdshaw

Feature request: easier to remove elements I don't like

Post by cjdshaw »

How do I delete configs and sprites that I don't prefer?
You may not like all the configs and sprites that come with G-Force, so you'll probably want to remove the ones you don't prefer ... If the item you want to remove is a config (a WaveShape, ColorMap, or FlowField), open its respective folder and simply delete the file with the matching name.
This works but requires me to stop playback. I prefer to let the slideshow run, and delete the files remotely. I often get sharing violations, though, as the file is still open. I had an idea that would be easier:

One hotkey to cycle a variable through elements currently in use and display the value of the variable.
Another hotkey to rename/delete/exclude the file that generates the element stored in the variable.

As far as I can see, the scripting language won't let me do either of these. Am I missing something? And if not, do you think it would be a good addition for the next version?

BTW, great product. Certainly the nicest visualisations out ther.

Brady

Post by Brady »

I'm able to edit or delete configs on the fly with Windows, and then just reload them using U or SHIFT+U. Are you trying to remove configs on a Mac?

cjdshaw

Post by cjdshaw »

No, I'm using Windows 2000 Pro. Are you doing it locally or over a network? Trying to use Windows Explorer on my HTPC is a bit painful, so I'm doing it via a shared drive from my laptop. Maybe there's some kind of lag in the networking

In any case, I thought it would be nice for HTPC users to be able to do if from within GF. That way, you could assign a remote button to "Uuurgh. I don't like that colormap. Delete it"

Brady

Post by Brady »

No, I haven't tried it over a network using Windows XP, but I don't see why the problem would be related to network lag.
If it's you are using your laptop to access the shared drive on your HTPC (Home Theater PC?), then perhaps it's more of a problem with the permissions on your shared folder.