graphic/video card

Discussion forum for G-Force users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

aeneas

graphic/video card

Post by aeneas »

hello!
what would be a great choice for a dual graphic/video card in order to get the best results with g-force?
thanks everyone!

Rovastar

Post by Rovastar »

GF mainly uses the CPU for the graphics so the graphics card will not matter too much.

brightblack

GF using GPU now?

Post by brightblack »

I thought the newer versions used the GPU? *If* that's the case then I would image most modern GPUs from nVidia or ATI (6xxx/X8xx respectively) would be fine.

That said, a quick CPU can't hurt either on the back end.
GForce 3.6.2 on a
Core Duo Intel 2GHz MacBook // Core Duo Intel MacMini 1.83GHz

Athlon64 3700+ Windows XP / NV 6800GS

not on:
Athlon XP2500+ Zenwalk Linux 4.2 / NV GF2 MX400

andy55
Site Admin

Re: GF using GPU now?

Post by andy55 »

brightblack wrote:I thought the newer versions used the GPU? *If* that's the case then I would image most modern GPUs from nVidia or ATI (6xxx/X8xx respectively) would be fine.

That said, a quick CPU can't hurt either on the back end.
G-Force 3.5 and later uses OpenGL if the hardware has fragment shaders (most new machines have this except for bottom-shelf PC laptops).

OpenGL is used to accelerate how frames are rendered on screen (frames originate in in main memory). Regardless if OpenGL is being used, G-Force still does pixel flow and line drawing on the CPU. So, in short, much of the load is still on the CPU, but good 3D hardware can help noticably in many cases.

So although OpenGL doesn't make the largest difference for G-Force, it's absolutely critical for SoftSkies and WhiteCap 5 (they all share a common codebase).

Andy
Last edited by andy55 on Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.