Thrills

Discussion forum for Aeon users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

Deedjee

Thrills

Post by Deedjee »

Long time user and lurker, 8) registered to ask the following:

As i play music, playing with AEONs keys, recording it, always great arty fun.

On a roll things work out, but then i enter a more complex scene like rocket like structures you probably all know which ones, where the system pauses or call it lag-s for a tiny bit. Enough to spoil the show for me.(And i dont really like those scene's either. Spectecular, yes but not what im looking for, just as the ones with de sun/world pcs mixed through them.

All a matter of taste.

So i want t avoid those scenes, the memkeys are only 5 that's no remedy, creating my own custom scenes - without the complex ones, doesn't seem to work as i get black screens when i start those.

enyone catches my drift and knows a solution?

Like.. i would like - like 20 mem keys to play with.

I hope im talking sense, beeing Dutch my English is not perfect im afraid. :oops:

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

Hi Deedjee

Welcome to the forum.

I see what you are getting at, I think you need to write scripts which would use only the configs you chose. It's different than creating custom themes.

There are some members here who know more about how to create scripts and custom themes than I do. I'm sure they will help you.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello Deedjee

You could try goiing to C\Program Files\SoundSpectrum\Aeon\Packages\Aeon Scene Package and delete the scenes you don't like. It may work for you, if not post back.
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

Deedjee

Post by Deedjee »

:idea: BTT, that's sounds promising and logical, ill backup, do/try as you state, and report back.

juxtiphi Thanks for your welcome, that would be a second idea, great! :D

Deedjee

Post by Deedjee »

(Xcuse the doublepost)

That works indeed BTT, great!
A buch of initial console reports - the files are missing, but that is acceptable for me, considering the benefit.

Some scenes really became annoying over the years, like the vain-leaves, braches with leaves, rockets and yoga thingys.

One thing i dont get is that by using customizing themes you can switch on or off a scene just like i just did by deleting them. But those custom scene-sets didn't play, black screens.
Perhaps its fixed in this version or it was my system or me doing something wrong.

Just can't find time to do all beeing a computer enthusiast and live a life.. :D

But for now thanks, :!: this solution suits my needs for the moment, although having a lot of dedicated keys to scenes wound be super to play with AEON or Gforce, 5 memkeys is just by far not enough.(For me)

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello Deedjee

That's good to know it allows you to do what you wanted. I have always thought of Aeon as being a half finished program, half the scenes are great, the other half including those you mention seem to have been included as padding out the program. Let's hope SoundSpectrum create more GREAT scenes.
Regards BTT

jerohm

Post by jerohm »

the time value (cost $$$) of creating excellent content is awful expensive. I am one of those who believe, if it seems too hard, you are most likely not addressing the problem from the proper perspective.
:roll:

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello Deedjee

From Mike who did most ot the early work creating Aeon. Unfortunately no longer with SoundSpectrum.
m2c wrote:That might work - the proper way to do it is edit Home/Library/SceneData.py - search for the scenes you don't want and put a # in front of them to comment them out. Weeee python!
The path is now:- C\Program Files\SoundSpectrum\Aeon\Packages\Aeon Scene Package (I hope).
Regards BTT

Deedjee

Post by Deedjee »

Hi BTT thanks for your heads up, though my"Notify me when a reply is posted" was on, somehow missed it perhaps

Great stuff, thanks BTT, i will imply that asap, sounds like the proper/cleaner way to go indeed. Mike thanks via BTT, Python beeing the language used i s'pose lol. Or playing with your pet python :lol: Wheee!

Im not into programming anymore it kept me up whole nights sipping java way to often real life was calling... Now enjoying others code, like gforce and AEON f.i. Love it, and it is really uniqeu from an art perspective. Most beautiful art for me.
Well.. ok exept for the cad-like rockets and yoga-leavy thingys lol.

Nice to watch but for me even nicer to play with myself, timing the right scene's in my favoriite tunes, capturing HQ video audio, chellaging from a pc point of view too.

The creation part of all that im am really missing in the software. But it was never intended for that ofcourse.

I wonder how they use it with George Michael Live, just plain master audio input or some keybinded(bound?) live performance or all pre-programmed midi timed or such. Interesting.

Deedjee

Post by Deedjee »

jerohm wrote:the time value (cost $$$) of creating excellent content is awful expensive. I am one of those who believe, if it seems too hard, you are most likely not addressing the problem from the proper perspective.
:roll:
Hi Jerohm, agree with your first part, but im not quite getting your point in total, sorry :oops:

DanPin

Post by DanPin »

Deedjee, I think you don't know your programming skills yet. :?

Please see http://www.soundspectrum.com/aeon/Docum ... anvas.html for examples.

jerohm

Post by jerohm »

Deedjee wrote:... but im not quite getting your point in total, sorry :oops:
My problem with Aeon is I was never quite sure what void it was intended to fill. There is NO question that given enough intellectual fortitude, you can create some stunning visuals. The problem was the content creation process wasn't really made any simpler/faster. First you have to accept Python offers a superior(??) programming platform. Python is fine (except for the whole ridiculous aversion to braces thing), but brings with it all baggage of every other object oriented language... which might be acceptable IFF you are collaborating with an entire programming team. Creation of content is typically an individual effort, so there is no real need for strict convention conformity. If you wanted to create content, you NEEDED to be well versed in Python idiosyncrasies, even BEFORE addressing the Aeon hooks. As far as I know, the only people to ever created content for Aeon, were SS employees... which is a terrible disadvantage from the get go. If you want a product to succeed, it can't be above the intellectual capacity of its audience.

FrankN

Post by FrankN »

Hi Jerohm,

Thanks for your feedback!

Are you looking for a GUI interface to create Aeon scenes? The reason we transitioned to Python was because of it's readability and simplicity for new programmers. It also means that there is a lot of detailed documentation available.

I agree that the system is difficult, but that has more to do with the way that 3D computer graphics work. Implementing the camera coordinate system along with the object coordinates is hard for anyone to wrap their head around. Then, you have the method of transforming these coordinates using matrices to create movement. It's a lot of higher-level math, and unfortunately, is necessary for rendering objects in a 3D space.

If there's a simple way of communicating and implementing these concepts, I would appreciate it! We always want to help users generate new content, since it will only make SoundSpectrum products more enjoyable.