Music visualizers that work with with line in?

Discussion forum for G-Force users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

ryankapoor

Music visualizers that work with with line in?

Post by ryankapoor »

It used to be that basically every media player had a visualization tool built in, often with full scripting languages for people to make their own visualizations, including cool 3D effects. But it seems like this stopped really being a thing around the time Winamp stopped being a thing. I'm actually still running Winamp because its visualizations still work (for a given definition of "work"), and they can take audio on a line in, allowing use with things like Pandora and Spotify, but they're positively ancient. There's two different engines, the better looking one is completely software based, the hardware accelerated one isn't as impressive, and neither of them play well with multimonitor setups, needing to be run in windowed mode if you want to use them on your second monitor.

Is there anything out there that's more modern without being worse? Every time I look I come up empty handed. Seems crazy that visualizers basically died out right when hardware got good enough to do them right.
Rufus MapQuest UpToDate
Last edited by ryankapoor on Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello ryankapoor

SoundSpectrum have a good choice of visualisations:-

https://www.soundspectrum.com/
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

Hi ryankapoor

I used to be in the same boat as you. Back when I got my first comp Winamp was all the rage and stuff like geiss and milkdrop were top of the line vis but for me, they got boring real fast and even the stuff you could do with Winamps generator didn't really pique my interest very long. Then, I found G-force easily the best visualizer and hands down the best out of box experience I ever had with any program what so ever. Saw things in G-force none of the others could even come close to.

Not sure if you have tried G-force yet but I don't think you'll be sorry and the other vis Soundspectrum offers are pretty good too. Aeon is pretty cool but I mostly stick with G-force when I want to escape.