WARNING: Upgrading to 1709 can kill your WMP **READ FIRST**

Discussions that relate to all of SoundSpectrum's visual offerings.

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall

DanPin

WARNING: Upgrading to 1709 can kill your WMP **READ FIRST**

Post by DanPin »

Beginning with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, Windows Media Player will become disabled by default once the upgrade is completed. However, it is unknown wether it will remove the DLL files needed for your installation, or if the Visualizations folder will remain intact after it becomes disabled. So, there are two ways you could get back up and running if the folder is not there anymore:

- If you have a back-up of the DLL files, you must put them back into the Visualizations folder of your WMP installation.
- Without a back-up, you can attempt to reinstall your products using the original installation file, if you don’t have it already. Just download it using your email address and license code on the SoundSpectrum website.

Be careful when you install or upgrade your current Windows 10 version to 1709, as it will temporarily remove Windows Media Player. To get it back, you can go to the Settings page and look for Windows Media Player under Apps and Features.

ozbeats

Post by ozbeats »

Hmmm.... where did you get this information from?

Don't post a link, just name your source(s).... as anyone with just a blog, a website portal and amateur publications can make up their article with false statements in hope of creating a bigger exposure and audience. :x

See, I've already upgraded to Windows 10 Fall Creators update and currently sit on Win 10 Pro Version 1709 - OS build number 16299.19 from being a Windows Insider in the slow ring as of last week.....

And upon upgrading the Redstone 3 (Windows 10 1709) I can clearly confirm that Windows Media Player 12.0.16299.15 does remain in place (32-bit) on the taskbar,
the 64-bit version found in the Program Files folder doesn't retain (doesn't keep) it's shortcuts on the start menu, nor would it on the taskbar.

Furthermore whenever the bi-annual Windows 10 Upgrades are released:
Anniversary Update, Creators Update or the Fall Creators Update are installed some players and always WMP require any SoundSpectrum visualizer plugins to be reinstalled.

Shortcuts or Start Menu links to Standalone versions of each SS visualizer will not open anything either, until the Visualizer(s) are re-installed.

Hope this helps.....

Please reveal your source so we can all validate it's legitimacy.... :idea:

Thanks, Alf

DanPin

Post by DanPin »

ozbeats wrote:Hmmm.... where did you get this information from?
Just heard this from Winaero. Look it up, i.e. Google “will windows media player be removed from windows 10 fall creators updateâ€￾; you’ll find more information about this situation.

ozbeats

Post by ozbeats »

Well it seems you have missed the filling in the sandwich because found this from linustechtips and betanews
[Update] A Microsoft spokesman has good news for users of Windows Media Player:

We are aware of and investigating a bug in a Windows Insider build that is preventing access to Windows Media Player. We do not have plans to remove the Windows Media Player from Windows 10.
Didn't affect me , I had the .15 RTM build and updated to the .19 current build before I 'stopped receiving Insider Builds' and WMP remained intact.

Also have 2 laptops and another desktop PC that all have updated,
one laptop via the Upgrade Assistant and another Laptop and PC via Windows Update ..... without ANY loss of WMP or functionality... at All

If you're Affected and have lost WMP: There is a workaround by searching or going to the "Add / Remove Windows Features" option of the Control Panel or Settings.... of Windows 10
Simply re-select 'Windows Media Player' and confirm to proceed, possibly restart/reboot and fix it.

Thanks again, ;)

Alf