Spotify requires premium account to play tracks in Tunr <

This is Tunr discussion! Tunr is a visual music player and platform that offers you unencumbered access to your favorite audio providers, while also offering mesmerizing and upgradable visuals. Help us make Tunr even better with constructive discussion and feedback.

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall

DanPin

Spotify requires premium account to play tracks in Tunr <

Post by DanPin »

Original title: Tunr fails to play a Spotify track.

So since I got Tunr working on my iPod Touch, I decided to play a Spotify track. However, whenever it tries to load a track, it just takes too long to load. But in debug mode, it displays the following line after waiting:

"The operation failed due to an unknown error."

I'm guessing that's because it was unable to detect the Spotify app (which might be required to play the track). I tried many times, but still cannot get it to work properly. Can you help me figure out the solution? Thanks.

<Subject edited by SS>
Last edited by DanPin on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello DanPin

I use Spotify on my PC and yes I have to install their program, therefore I believe you would need to do the same for Tunr.
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

b.dwall
SoundSpectrum

Post by b.dwall »

Hi DanPin,

I will get this message over to AOM so we can find out what might be happening. Thanks for helping us identify potential errors as we navigate this release! Let us know if you run into any other issues.

BTT -> I hope you get to take Tunr for a spin soon! You might look at the used ipad market. You can pick up an older pad pretty cheap these days that will run Tunr wonderfully.
SoundSpectrum.com | PLAN.tools | ArtIsInFormation.org

DanPin

Post by DanPin »

I have a free Spotify subscription.

That's probably why it's not working, so I think it only supports paid subscriptions. That needs to be fixed soon so it can play songs with my free subscription.

andy55
Site Admin

Post by andy55 »

DanPin wrote:I have a free Spotify subscription.

That's probably why it's not working, so I think it only supports paid subscriptions. That needs to be fixed soon so it can play songs with my free subscription.
Ah, that's probably it. So you made an account and you're in your trial period?

DanPin

Post by DanPin »

andy55 wrote:Ah, that's probably it. So you made an account and you're in your trial period?
Uh, actually, it is a free, permanent Spotify account, but it is known to display ads that can interfere with the buffering connection (I think) and then possibly fail to load. It would never have a trial limit unless it is a Premium trial. That has to get fixed! (Only if Tunr can skip the incoming ad and immediately play the track).

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello DanPin

As I know you only use the free versions of SoundSpectrum products G-Force etc because you don't / won't pay for their software, in this case you will have to pay Spotify for their premium version if you intend to use this with Tunr.
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

andy55
Site Admin

Post by andy55 »

BTT wrote:Hello DanPin

As I know you only use the free versions of SoundSpectrum products G-Force etc because you don't / won't pay for their software, in this case you will have to pay Spotify for their premium version if you intend to use this with Tunr.
Yeah, my hope though was that a Spotify user in their 30 day trial will be able to get the full Tunr experience (as if they were a subscriber). However it's looking like their choice may not allow that.

FYI:

https://github.com/spotify/ios-sdk/issues/831

Everyone, until we go into "hard launch" mode, kindly keep Tunr on the down low. The idea is that we want to get Turn to 1.1 (where it's fully stable and any major issues are ironed out) before we get it as much attention as we can. That way people don't walk away from Tunr because some issue in 1.0 turned them off. Figuring out this Spotify 30 day trial issue is a great example, actually.

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

So what about us poor shlubs who don't have an iphone or other apple products? Is this just an apple thing or will there be a pc version or version for other phones?

Just askin, been using G-force and been with this forum since just about the beginning.

andy55
Site Admin

Post by andy55 »

juxtiphi wrote:So what about us poor shlubs who don't have an iphone or other apple products? Is this just an apple thing or will there be a pc version or version for other phones?

Just askin, been using G-force and been with this forum since just about the beginning.
I hear you man, but we''ll all be poor shlubs if Tunr doesn't go anywhere. Let's face it: the music listening experience is getting "gatekeepered" (fragmented) as each music provider (foolishly) tries to be your sole one-stop for music. Tunr is the first app of its kind and stands to show the world that music should be an agnostic *platform*. That is, the user loses if the music provider also is the platform. It will take time, but I believe the world will eventually wake up to this. Until then, all of us here have to wait for the world where gatekeepers don't completely run the show.

If Tunr DOES go somewhere, Android is absolutely in the cards -- more than you can imagine. Given Apple's choices the last couple years, I actually hate being married to iOS and will move to change that ASAP.

If you can stand it, a used iPad off ebay does work pretty great with Tunr, plus we plan to get to AppleTV if possible.

DanPin

Post by DanPin »

Now I had to use Pandora.

I had no other choice, so that and the live radio are the only options I could use with Tunr. What a shame.

b.dwall
SoundSpectrum

What's the Shame?

Post by b.dwall »

DanPin wrote:Now I had to use Pandora.

I had no other choice, so that and the live radio are the only options I could use with Tunr. What a shame.
You can, if you choose, listen to Your Music Library, you can listen to any podcast (check out the music sets and shows in the 1500+ catalog we created, it's completely free and awesome), iHeart Radio and SoundCloud ... make an account and start streaming, go crazy adding free internet radio links, or get contemplative with infinite Sounds Spaces (free).

But we didn't think you would have time to listen to that many music services, so we made a setting where you can remove the streaming providers you are unlikely to use from the Tunr home screen. You're welcome! At it's heart, Tunr is a versatile player that can adapt to nearly any provider, and we are only at 1.0.

I get it... you have so much free stuff at your disposal, it's hard to choose.
Last edited by b.dwall on Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DanPin

Post by DanPin »

SS_Bran wrote:You can, if you choose, listen to Your Music Library, you can listen to any podcast (check out the music sets and shows in the 1500+ catalog we created, it's completely free and awesome), iHeart Radio and SoundCloud ... make an account and start streaming (it's free), go crazy adding free internet radio links, or get contemplative with infinite Sounds Spaces (free).
Well, I made multiple attempts to sign in with my Google account to access SoundCloud, but as soon as I click on the Allow button, I end up getting a blank page instead, and fails to sign in. That's probably a bug that has to be fixed.

b.dwall
SoundSpectrum

Post by b.dwall »

DanPin wrote:Well, I made multiple attempts to sign in with my Google account to access SoundCloud, but as soon as I click on the Allow button, I end up getting a blank page instead, and fails to sign in. That's probably a bug that has to be fixed.
You must have a SoundCloud account (associated with your Google account already) in order to sign in using a Google account.