Desktop Maintenance Blitzkrieg week

Discussion forum for G-Force users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

andy55
Site Admin

Desktop Maintenance Blitzkrieg week

Post by andy55 »

Hey everyone!

The last week and this week into the holidays I'm going on a bug/issue fix blitzkrieg with our desktop software. I'll hit this thread for help and assistance in hitting the worklist that Brandon has created for me.

So far I've fixed/addressed/added:

- WhiteCap overlapping track animation
- Installer now always looks for and installs for WMP 64bit
- Now supporting Aero snap for the Windows standalone
- Fixed junk frame flicker on resize/ or fullscreen change
- Fixed erroneous msg "Undefined function Refresh()"

TODOs I need help with:

- If you installed a Windows or Mac OS system update in 2016 AND you were using the latest version of one of our visuals AND you got a message when running the vis that you had to reinstall our software. I'm trying to resolve this issue, but I need to confirm that this has happened to multiple people that *weren't* running an old version of our software at the time. If you're not sure, it's ok -- we can look it up internally here.

- Our visuals not showing up in the iTunes menu (they can't even be started). This is either our installer not detecting the iTunes environment correctly or the installer isn't putting our vis library in the correct place. Anyone who has insight into this issue or can reproduce it, kindly post to this thread.

- Anyone having repeatable crashes when switching to fullscreen mode (and not on a PC dating back to the Jurassic Period)

- Anyone who gets regular crashes on macos

Please post here, thanks!

Lotusisrael

Post by Lotusisrael »

This is why Winter Wonders 2017 was not launched? It seemed based on Aeon, so it would make sense now.

jerohm

Post by jerohm »

RE: GF Win10 updates/reinstall

*** This is definitely outside normal installation procedures,
*** BUT READ it anyway; it 'may' give you some insight to what others have experienced

For years (read: since Win7), I used a ramdrive, and symbolically linked [mklink /d] 'Library', 'Packages', and 'Resources' to the standard installation directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\SoundSpectrum\G-Force".

On my desktop (i7-4930k/GTX 780), the 'Library' symbolic link, caused startup issues (on BOTH win7 and win10 ?!?), so I only maintained the 'ram' folders/symbolic links for 'Packages' and 'Resources'.

After installation, I would rename the original 'Packages' and 'Resources' folders, create symbolic links to the ram drive, and copy their respective contents, to their ram folder 'surrogates'.

Whenever a new Win10 update is applied, the plugin/standalone GF, would state a reinstall was necessary (Error 29).
*** Update ***
I actually have the same problem problem when switching the default display resolution of my monitor from 3840x2160 to 1920x1080,
( but NOT from to 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 ?!?).
*** Update ***

*** This is a reproducible situation:
[kinda by accident,] I found that just re-copying the contents of the original 'Resources' folder to the ramdrive fixed the issue... (read: I DIDN'T need to perform a full reinstall).

My laptop (i7-3840qm/Radeon 7850M) is Win7, and I have NEVER experienced any such issues.

=========

No problems going in/out fullscreen (win7/win10)
UNLESS if auto-answered Skype call is received during fullscreen mode... Once the caller hangs up, exiting fullscreen mode is possible.

No scripting crashes, but some missing/inconsistent function references,

// NEVER discovered valid calling format:
//

def SlideshowEnabled( inConfigTypeName )

// NEED to use 'vis.SetSlideshowEnabled()':
//

def SetSlideshowEnabled( inConfigTypeName, inEnabled, inShufflePlaylist = False )

=======================

It would be 'nice' if the screen menus scaled at high resolutions (@3840 x 2160 things are pretty small!)

andy55
Site Admin

Post by andy55 »

jerohm wrote:RE: GF Win10 updates/reinstall

*** This is definitely outside normal installation procedures,
*** BUT READ it anyway; it 'may' give you some insight to what others have experienced

For years (read: since Win7), I used a ramdrive, and symbolically linked [mklink /d] 'Library', 'Packages', and 'Resources' to the standard installation directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\SoundSpectrum\G-Force".

On my desktop (i7-4930k/GTX 780), the 'Library' symbolic link, caused startup issues (on BOTH win7 and win10 ?!?), so I only maintained the 'ram' folders/symbolic links for 'Packages' and 'Resources'.

After installation, I would rename the original 'Packages' and 'Resources' folders, create symbolic links to the ram drive, and copy their respective contents, to their ram folder 'surrogates'.

Whenever a new Win10 update is applied, the plugin/standalone GF, would state a reinstall was necessary (Error 29).
*** Update ***
I actually have the same problem problem when switching the default display resolution of my monitor from 3840x2160 to 1920x1080,
( but NOT from to 1920x1080 to 3840x2160 ?!?).
*** Update ***
No idea what's going on. Assuming it is error 29, the engine can't read/open the Resources/License.dat file. Is that file being mirrored correctly?

jerohm wrote:
// NEVER discovered valid calling format:
//

def SlideshowEnabled( inConfigTypeName )

// NEED to use 'vis.SetSlideshowEnabled()':
//

def SetSlideshowEnabled( inConfigTypeName, inEnabled, inShufflePlaylist = False )
Yep, got this.

jerohm wrote: It would be 'nice' if the screen menus scaled at high resolutions (@3840 x 2160 things are pretty small!)
I've added a little help in this new version. If the height is above 1200, it will autoscale up from there. Tell me what you think of G-Force 5.5b1 with this!

Tiberius675

Issue with G Force and Jriver Media Center

Post by Tiberius675 »

Hi I have had an issue for the last few versions with G Force locking certain Media center functions from completing when active.

The first symptom I noticed was not being able to exit Theater View while a file was paying with G Force active. To reproduce start a file playing in theater view with G Force as the active visualization. Hit the ESC key to bring up the exit menu. From here there is no response after selecting any menu item the only way out is to end task in task manger.

The next symptom is some actions will not complete in standard mode with a file playing and G Force active. To reproduce start a file playing with G Force active. Attempt to rename or delete another file(Not the one Playing) nothing will happen. When the file is stopped the requested action may occur.

DanPin

Post by DanPin »

jerohm wrote:It would be 'nice' if the screen menus scaled at high resolutions (@3840 x 2160 things are pretty small!)
On the Samsung Galaxy TabPro S, I actually ignored this issue, because I can see the buttons very well, especially the text. It's just that G-Force and other SoundSpectrum products DON'T support proper FHD, QHD, and 4K renderings yet.

ozbeats

Post by ozbeats »

Andy and Brandon,

Latest G-Force beta 2 downloaded but is not properly signed by the publisher. Furthermore even though the file contains beta 2 fixes (UI functions bar, etc) ....
....it is still packaged and labelled as Beta 1 and NOT Beta 2, also sending off a false positive with Trend Micro Max Security.

EDIT: Also noticed another glitch on the current GF beta:
Either In debug mode maximizing / minimizing or using the UI roll the dice in WMP x64 generates a SoundSpectrum Log on the Desktop... automagically...

All good anyway, thanks Andy, Brandon and SS.. :)

UPDATE: G-Force 5.50 beta 4 has been signed correctly and sets off no Windows Smartscreen or Trend Micro false positives or unsigned warnings.

However, to my knowledge the using the debug function (FULL) still generates a Soundspectrum Log text file on the Windows desktop....

Alf

andy55
Site Admin

Post by andy55 »

Lotusisrael wrote:This is why Winter Wonders 2017 was not launched? It seemed based on Aeon, so it would make sense now.

it's out! :)

andy55
Site Admin

Re: Issue with G Force and Jriver Media Center

Post by andy55 »

Tiberius675 wrote:Hi I have had an issue for the last few versions with G Force locking certain Media center functions from completing when active.

The first symptom I noticed was not being able to exit Theater View while a file was paying with G Force active. To reproduce start a file playing in theater view with G Force as the active visualization. Hit the ESC key to bring up the exit menu. From here there is no response after selecting any menu item the only way out is to end task in task manger.

The next symptom is some actions will not complete in standard mode with a file playing and G Force active. To reproduce start a file playing with G Force active. Attempt to rename or delete another file(Not the one Playing) nothing will happen. When the file is stopped the requested action may occur.
Great post -- you described the issue well! I'm email my dev contact at jriver (Matt Ashland), but it's been years since working with him. I've also posted this on their forums, so hopefully they'll engage with us:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.p ... 618.0.html

andy55
Site Admin

Post by andy55 »

DanPin wrote:
jerohm wrote:It would be 'nice' if the screen menus scaled at high resolutions (@3840 x 2160 things are pretty small!)
On the Samsung Galaxy TabPro S, I actually ignored this issue, because I can see the buttons very well, especially the text. It's just that G-Force and other SoundSpectrum products DON'T support proper FHD, QHD, and 4K renderings yet.
Agreed, our visuals are due for high-res support! I would love to take time for this, but in the immediate months, now we have to focus on our new product that will support the company and take us out of starvation mode. :\ My feeling on the high res issue is that once you stand 4' away from a computer screen, you literally can't tell the difference. And given that is literally takes about 4X the CPU/and or GPU (depending on the visual) to support that, there's more of a downside that the app's power consumption just went up by 2-4X.

We humans tend to think of computer screens and data sets as growing linearly, but the computer science of it is that the workload generally goes up parabolically.

Tiberius675

Post by Tiberius675 »

andy55 wrote: Great post -- you described the issue well! I'm email my dev contact at jriver (Matt Ashland), but it's been years since working with him. I've also posted this on their forums, so hopefully they'll engage with us:

Thanks I checked out the post On Jriver.

BTT
Administrator

Re: Desktop Maintenance Blitzkrieg week

Post by BTT »

andy55 wrote:Hey everyone!

The last week and this week into the holidays I'm going on a bug/issue fix blitzkrieg with our desktop software. I'll hit this thread for help and assistance in hitting the worklist that Brandon has created for me.
AOM does this mean you will restore the save theme feature in the GF toolbar. You would make a lot of users happy.

Happy New Year to you and Brandon and hoping for a great year for SS.
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

Tiberius675

Post by Tiberius675 »

andy55 wrote: Great post -- you described the issue well! I'm email my dev contact at jriver (Matt Ashland), but it's been years since working with him. I've also posted this on their forums, so hopefully they'll engage with us:

Any update on the issues with J River?

ozbeats

Post by ozbeats »

Hi Tiberius675,

I found this on the JRiver forums, which list the changelogs and notes for interim versions

This version and all above it have this fix included

22.0.57 (JAN/6/2017)

4. Fixed: With G-Force running, the Theater View exit dialog would get stuck.

Current version is 22.0.59 (JAN/9/2017)

1. Go to Jriver interact forum

2. Click JRiver Media Center 22 for Windows

3. The latest build download link and changelogs are pinned to the top of that Forum section.

Looks like the issue you may be having has been resolved and was rectified by the media software manufacturer, let us know if it isn't....

Hope this helps ;)

Cheers, Alf

Tiberius675

Post by Tiberius675 »

ozbeats wrote:Hi Tiberius675,

I found this on the JRiver forums, which list the changelogs and notes for interim versions

This version and all above it have this fix included

22.0.57 (JAN/6/2017)

4. Fixed: With G-Force running, the Theater View exit dialog would get stuck.

Current version is 22.0.59 (JAN/9/2017)

1. Go to Jriver interact forum

2. Click JRiver Media Center 22 for Windows

3. The latest build download link and changelogs are pinned to the top of that Forum section.

Looks like the issue you may be having has been resolved and was rectified by the media software manufacturer, let us know if it isn't....

Hope this helps ;)

Cheers, Alf
Whoo Hoo! All fixed!