Will GForce create 4K renderings on a 4K video card/monitor?

Discussion forum for G-Force users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

nealsal

Will GForce create 4K renderings on a 4K video card/monitor?

Post by nealsal »

Hi, if I get a 4K video card to connect HDMI to a 4K TV, will Gforce create visualizations at a 4K resolution (i.e. more fine detail), or only HD (1080P)?

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello nealsal

Good question. SoundSpectrum have been concentrating all their efforts into the ios app 'Tunr'. I have been unable to obtain any information from them about updates (new content) for their existing programs. So I doubt if your question has even crossed their minds. Maybe one of the forum techies would be able to help you.
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

sharok

Post by sharok »

Hi BTT,

This is a very good question. Could you please ask Andy to stop upgrading his beautiful tunr for a second (if he hasn't collapsed yet) and answer this question regarding using a 4K video card connected to a 4K TV?

I think there's not much left of Andy by now except the bones (not even sure about that). This is called the "tunr effect". :lol:

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello sharok
Could you please ask Andy to stop upgrading his beautiful tunr for a second (if he hasn't collapsed yet) and answer this question regarding using a 4K video card connected to a 4K TV?
I have sent emails to Andy, however he does NOT reply. Frank is/or has left SoundSpectrum. Brandon has taken over from him - his user name is SS_Bran.

I have not had any contact with him, and he has yet to post on the forum. I have repeatedly asked Frank "What is going on at SS?" The reply is always the same, they are working hard to get 'TUNR' released (I think it's eighteen months late). So, I am in the dark just as everyone else is.

Maybe if as many people as possible send emails to the following we might drag some info out of SoundSpectrum.

fnetscher@soundspectrum.com

bwallace@soundspectrum.com

andy@soundspectrum.com
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

sharok

Post by sharok »

Hi BTT,

Many thanks. Unfortunately, it was always obvious that they simply don't care about their customers.

They maybe very smart people, but they need to take business 101 and their communication skills is waaaay less developed than a mute person.

jerohm

Post by jerohm »

I am almost 100% sure, that in a more recent version's (5.0 ???) release notes, he said that he opened up display limits above 1920x1080.

Actually I would bet money on it, but I don't recall the specific details. If I find a footnote, I will update this post...

I looked in some of the places I would have EXCEPTED to find reference to it with no luck... maybe I am just crazy
:?

I assume that people understand that GF (read: Flowfields) is highly dependent on CPU utilization, rather than that of the GPU... (the exact opposite is true for AEON). I am wondering if 4K proves to be just too CPU intensive?!?
... just a thought
:roll:

Julz

Post by Julz »

been waiting for an ios/android app for YEARS, wish they would release anything and just update from there... get that beer money

b.dwall
SoundSpectrum

4k Resolution - Yes, but...

Post by b.dwall »

The question of 4K resolution in our visualizers has come up in both support and user forums, and it's a great question that deserves to be addressed. The answer is essentially a two part-er; here is a quick summation I received from Andy, Chief Engineer:

"Yes, G-Force will see that high res for sure. It will render at a resolution that the OS says your fancy new TV is at, so you'll be good to go! G-Force runs great at those resolutions and is designed for balanced load on a multicore CPU."

We have in fact had reports that folks are able to achieve amazing results with the right compliment of hardware that is appropriately configured. Which is precisely where you might run into some issues. Here is one report from an individual running G-Force Platinum:

"I got 4K running and yes, the depth and complexity increased 8fold! Nirvana ... The challenge was that, because my AV processor doesn't handle 4K, I got a multi-HDMI video card to send 4K video direct to the 4K monitor and regular HDTV to the processor for audio. This sounds easy but took a lot of swearing to get stable. Basically I had to set the card to mirror the 2 outputs, get the 4K working, and then convince the driver to send the mirrored output 1080P."

As this case exemplifies, just because SoundSpectrum visuals are capable of scaling to the increased resolution of new displays (yay math!), that unfortunately does not mean that it will "just work" like many have come to expect. You need the right hardware (i.e. a 4K capable video card), and that hardware needs to be properly configured (which may or may not be straight forward, depending on the hardware manufacturer). I would love to hear about other trials and successes with 4K monitors, and I would encourage our community to start a new thread that can be used for reporting on configurations that have worked.

Regards,

Brandon
SoundSpectrum.com | PLAN.tools | ArtIsInFormation.org

ozbeats

Post by ozbeats »

Thanks Brandon for your detailed explanation....

Another query is:
Does SS visualizers (G-Force, Aeon, etc.) support Nvidia DSR (Dynamic Super Resolution) ??
In this scenario graphics are rendered on the GPU at the higher resolution, for example 2k or 4k, and then dynamically scaled back down to the TV/Monitors display resolution.

In a real world example I have a Sony 32 inch Full HD 1080 display but with the help of NVidia's GeForce Experience software I'm able to play games like DOTA2 using DSR, rendered at 3840x2160 and then downsized back to 1080 Full HD, all on the NVidia GPU.
The upside to this is that NVidia DSR allows game to be rendered at higher resolutions with full 4K graphics effects and then downsized (on capable hardware)
My GPU is an ASUS Strix GTX970 with 4GB GPU RAM (DX 12 and 12.1, Shader model 6.0), I also have 16GB of DDR3 Memory on the Motherboard itself (for the OS and apps to utilize) and an i7-4770 CPU

Alf

b.dwall
SoundSpectrum

DSR

Post by b.dwall »

Hi Alf,

Thanks for writing in. As far as I know, SoundSpectrum software does not support DSR... but as I understand, DSR is primarily for high resolution applications [games], that can (in a manner of speaking) allow you to pull a little more resolution/detail/smoothness/etc. My initial reaction is that it shouldn't matter. There is no need for a DSR effect, because (the way I understand in very simplistic terms) the program is rendering the visuals based on equations, and those renderings will generate at the maximum resolution possible on a given graphics card/display configuration. I'll post more if I find out differently or can better answer your question.

Regards,

Brandon
SoundSpectrum.com | PLAN.tools | ArtIsInFormation.org

jerohm

Post by jerohm »

I got my hands on a 4k (Dell P2415Q 24" 3840x2160 IPS) monitor which I attached using display port to a GTX 780/i7-4930K box. First, 4K and Win10 doesn't seem to be [much of] a problem. 4K and OTHER programs however, almost ALWAYS have scaling issues to various degrees... proceed with caution and expect a few surprises (If you have no idea what I am talking about, do a little research on the subject - your eyesight better be top-notch). HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 are sure to bring confusion and greive to those "early adopters" of 4K televisions anyway.

I fully realize that the GTX 780 is hardly state of the art, but GF doesn't exploit it anyway (Caution, this is NOT THE CASE for Aeon!). The 4930k can do a pretty good job keeping up with most current i7 offerings, at the expense of efficiency) I have all cores overclocked/locked to 4.2G (which arguably is not really necessary).

using the WinAMP plugin,
(A WS, Particle(s), and Sprite are all running concurrently with durations ~35 secs)

With the Graphics setting at "High", I can get ~32 fps pretty consistantly.

With the Graphics setting at "Moderate", I can get ~60 fps MOST (w/ sleep > 0 ) of the time

The cummulative CPU load hangs around 20%.

So how is the experience?? My screen is pretty small, but I have always been told 4K can only be appreciated on larger format screens (remember, HDMI 1.4 only supports 4K @ 30fps)
Jury is still out... I will update this post as I learn more

jrm