AEON & VIRTUALDJ

Discussion forum for Aeon users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

syscheck

Post by syscheck »

@ozbeats
Regarding options for VirtualDJ 8... I'm a so-called PRO "Infinity" user. I'm one of those DJ's who purely DJ for fun and friends, but thought the package was worth the whole $299. I'm totally satisfied with it. I'm the kind of DJ that says "Nahhhh", when it comes to playing big time and looking for 'the big bucks'. Just not my kind of cookie.

Back on topic; it also means that I should be able to have full access to the Visualizer options. Which is the case when you look at eg. Milkdrop that has been around for a long time. (for the same reason I'm looking for something better... like a combination of G-Force and Aeon).

@FrankN
Jup; When you start G-force or Aeon the message clearly appears and tells that the controls are not working within VirtualDJ.

Let's clarify some things to see if it helps out other forum-visitors. (I know... I could have sent and email, but on the forum other users might have a solution).
Issues might be related to my laptop/configuration, so lets start with that:
- Acer Aspire V17 Black Edition (Intel Core i7-4720HQ, 12GB RAM, GeForce GTX 860M). For DJ-activities I have a 'clean' profile set up in Win8.1 (and no, I'm not a gamer ;-))
- Framerates differ (of course) when running Visualizers with CPU or GPU, both are capable of handling it well, although (again; of course) during transitions there's a significant framedrop when using build-in CPU/GPU (Intel Mobile HM86). No framedrop when running VirtualDJ with GTX860M.
- Both Aeon and G-Force run when you select them, but Milkdrop 'overrules' them. Milkdrop keeps running in the background. Milkdrop cannot be turned of, which is fine, as it's the basic 'layer' where everything else is displayed on (just a matter of preference). Starting/Stopping Aeon/G-Force on top of it, works. Even with Title and Text plugins activated and switching -when used- between MP4 video's when not using WAV/MP3/FLAC.

So that's the part that works when just looking at the facts. Now for the DJ-look on it (try look read this with a big wink):
- No settings for G-Force and Aeon is like saying; play the MP3 file with your iPod Classic, but don't touch the buttons afer hitting 'play'.
You cannot decide when to change the effects, you can't intensify the beats/algorithm (when visualizer is not showing much, more about that next).
The difference is huge when you know that when you use the visualizers for basic play options, with eg. the Standalone functions, setting up your own profiles/intensity/vis-options.

2 things that I've noticed while testing:
- intensity is very low on most visualisations. G-Force seems to show more 'beat' than Aeon, but that might just be the difference in visualisations. Overall both show only small signs that they pick up the audio. A definate no-go.
- Aeon gives a black screen after +/- 8 transistions and only starts visualizing when you start playing a new track on the other deck. But not consistently. Start/stopping the plugin doesn't help (I think that's because VirtualDJ keeps the process alive in the background). G-Force doesn't have that problem. This I consider a bug.

What would I like? Some basic options for within VirtualDJ. At least an intensity setting, fade/cut-to-next visual effect option and length of visualisation.
But I think that it's quite a lot of work when you look from the programmers perspective. Honestly; I think I'm thinking to far out-of-the-box and maybe even asking for something impossible.

When you look at Milkdrop, it has some basic ini-settings for when you run VirtualDJ and it's own 'Milkdrop Presets' map in which are the prefered .milk files for the visual effects.
When you look at Aeon/G-Force, they both have that functionality, but... completely build-in to the visualizer (and the stand-alone ini file).

I looked at these pages to grasp the extensive options for G-Force (and Aeon for that matter):
- https://www.soundspectrum.com/g-force/D ... izing.html (But I don't think that'll work, as VirtualDJ uses it's own DLL-file?)
- https://www.soundspectrum.com/g-force/D ... mming.html (WOW... I'll leave that one to the pro's)

Pffff, I hope I've written down enough to give you a good idea on what is- and isn't possible. I hope it's enough info for you guys. I know; I'm probably one of the few DJ's who would like to see Aeon and G-force run as a controllable plugin for VirtualDJ... But maybe... maybe the visualisers will get more attention from Dj's in this way...

FrankN

Post by FrankN »

Hi Syscheck,

I can tell you, from our end, we would love for those options to work. We worked really hard to get our visuals to work with Virtual DJ. However, the VDJ guys asked us to put our visualizer in the display pane (I believe that's what it's called). That pane does not take mouse input (It might take keyboard, I forget). So, we'd really like to increase the amount of control our users have, but we can't until the VDJ guys help us out a little.

We ask you to write in because we want to show how many people would be buying their product if they would add the increased functionality that our product brings.

syscheck

Post by syscheck »

FrankN wrote: ...
We ask you to write in because we want to show how many people would be buying their product if they would add the increased functionality that our product brings.
Good to know!
Really; let's hope DJ's will come to the forum, so they will add some useful input for you guys! (I'll start by sharing this post on my FB page)

FrankN

Post by FrankN »

Thanks! It's like I always say, the best tool small companies like ours have is word-of-mouth! We always appreciate it.

syscheck

Post by syscheck »

I'm still hoping for a solution to manually control transisions, colors etc. and reaction to sound within VirtualDJ. I've tried to use the standalone versions of G-Force and Aeon as much as possible with a loop-through my sound/mic connection, but it's.... mwhaa... not the best solution (have to keep track on my mouse position to know what screen I'm on).
I really, really, really hope to see a manual control option sometime... (Like Milkdrop when pressing it's configuration-button uses).

Extra info; just renewed my license for SoftSkies, but although it says it noticed VirtualDJ as option while installing, it doesn't work in VirtualDJ; screen stays black when selecting SoftSkies.

FrankN

Post by FrankN »

Hi syscheck,

Yes, at this point, the manual connection is in their court. The Standalone/Mic cycle is definitely not great. Read the links below to enable Standalone to read your onboard audio.

- https://www.soundspectrum.com/g-force/D ... _mix_vista

- https://www.soundspectrum.com/g-force/D ... alone.html
Last edited by FrankN on Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

syscheck

Post by syscheck »

FrankN wrote:Hi syscheck,

Yes, at this point, the manual connection is in their court. The Standalone/Mic lift is definitely not great. Read the links below to enable Standalone to read your onboard audio.
:oops: Sorry; forgot to mention that I'm using a external soundcard in my DJ controller. So using the onboard stereo-mix option is a no-go for me. (I did use that previously though, when I had no controller).

FrankN

Post by FrankN »

I see, thanks for the info! Have you connected your controller to an aux-in port? Standalone will work with that audio, as well.

Since we're getting into the nitty-gritty of this conversation, let's switch over to the support queue. Contact me at the link below, and we can begin working out how to solve this issue. Then, we can come back afterward, and report our solution (or lack thereof) in this thread.

- https://www.soundspectrum.com/support/contact.html

Looking forward to hearing from you!

syscheck

Post by syscheck »

FrankN wrote:Looking forward to hearing from you!
Coming up 8)