Official Aeon minimum systems requirement

Discussion forum for Aeon users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

sharok

Official Aeon minimum systems requirement

Post by sharok »

Why doesn't Sound Spectrum release an official minimum system requirement for Aeon?

To tell the customer any PC made in the past couple of years is not a professional way of describing a system requirement.

I apologize to say this, but SS is the only compnay that I know who describes its systems requirements in such a manner.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello sharok

Good point - Graphics card, and Memory I would have thought essential information especially for Aeon. Trying to obtain information from SoundSpectrum is like trying to get blood out of a stone. You could try:

http://www.soundspectrum.com/support/contact.html

Wouldn't hold your breath though.
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

sharok

Post by sharok »

[Hello BTT,

How are you doing?

To be honest with you, I decided not to renew Aeon anymore until Andy fixes the stuttering issue. I think I'll just renew G-Force since it has no stuttering issues. SS has the same problem with Whitecap and if I'm not mistaken, Andy is the developer for both Aeon and Whitecap (same issue).

To tell the customer "any computer built in the past couple of years" is an unprofessional statement. Sound Spectrum Sales department needs to start acting a little more responsible and more mature.

They keep dodging customers' question by just saying "Aeon is very special" which is a little childish and it does not solve the problem.

I informed them of this issue two years ago and they did nothing about it.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello sharok

I am keeping well thanks, how about you?

Andy is responsible for all SoundSpectrum products. The stuttering issues have been present for a long time. I believe if it could be resolved it would have been by now. I know that Andy is spending all his time on a new project soon to be released, all you can do I am sorry to say is to contact their support, but Frank can only give stock replies. Now if only I was the boss of the company..........
Regards BTT

sharok

Post by sharok »

Yes, the stock reply "Aeon is very special". :lol:

I'm willing to bet the new product will have the same issue as Aeon and Whitecap does (since Andy is developing it). They should get the G-Force developer involved since Andy doesn't know how to fix it. But I doudt Sound Spectrum can be that smart. :lol:

jerohm

Post by jerohm »

I put Aeon on an overclocked (4.4G) i7-4930K/ssd, and the problem seems to persist. This is ONLY a guess, but I am thinking that the Python sections are not making use of multi-threading (very well anyway)... which I believe CAN be done (to some extent), but may take [significant??] re-coding, to a worker/multiple-process model... maybe not...
:?

sharok

Post by sharok »

Hi jerohm,

Thanks for telling me this. I was planning to spend so much money on upgrading my PC in order to get Aeon to work correctly. If you couldn't stop it from stuttering during transition with such powerful CPU and SSD, then there's no point in spending more money on that. This is an Aeon issue for sure.

sharok

Post by sharok »

jerohm,

What video card and OS are you using?

If you don't mind me asking.

jerohm

Post by jerohm »

(reference) GTX 780 / Win7 (Ultimate).

as not to be overly critical of Aeon, it is hard to write software that is expected to render in real time, no less than also, to run on multiple platforms. That said, I believe I utilized about the most capable hardware scenario one could reasonably expect. I believe the problem/solution lies elsewhere.

sharok

Post by sharok »

You're correct. You run Aeon on a very powerful system. At least for Aeon it seems to be overkill. Again you're correct in that the problem lies elsewhere.

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

Maybe FrankN's answer was not up to snuff but considering Aeon is approaching the level of the 3D animated graphics seen on TV. e.g The opening graphics for Bill O'reilly's The Factor, I think we should give Soundspectrum the benefit of the doubt here.

Soundspectrum Visualizers are not simple vis like geiss, milkdrop or any other you can name and Aeon is a prime example of this, so, it will not be as easy to "fix" for all people's comps and or video capabilities. I am not knocking your system, I am only saying that Aeon may be a bit more advanced than we understand hence the issues with tearing on systems "we" feel it should work on toot sweet.

We may just have to wait until computers are even faster when it comes to processing a lot of real time info.

sharok

Post by sharok »

But you're forgetting the fact that G-Force does not have this problem. They're both made by the same company but probably different developers. And please don't forget that WhiteCap also has the same issue as Aeon. I tried the trial version and as soon as I saw the pauses between scene transitions, I changed my mind and did not purchase it.

G-Force is a great example of a beautifiul, fantastic AND a non-deffective visualization software. It would be very wise of the Aeon developer to consult this with the G-Force developer to see why G-Force is flawless and Aeon is not.

Why should we wait for faster computers and increase the consumeer cost when the least they can do is to ASK the other developer about how to fix this issue???

We're not trying to launch a satellite here and I believe that jerohm setup is more powerful than enough to run a visulization software.

I bet that it does not even work flawlessly for the developer either, that is why there is no official minimum system requirement for this software and that is why the developer never responded to this question before.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello All

First, all SoundSpectrum products are created by one man - Andy O'Meara.

Second, as I have said before. If the problem with Aeon, and WhiteCap could be resolved it would have been done so by now.
Regards BTT

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

I hate to tell ya, but my machine meets all specs and sometimes I see a stutter in G-force during transitions, especially when using the toolbar to make changes on the fly.

Andy is the only person developing these progs and I'm thinking you have no idea how much work its for one person to write and rewrite all the coding for 4 different vis, 10 players and 2 different OS one of which is always changing.

Andy may not visit this site as much as we would like but that doesn't mean he is not aware of what's going on. I am sure he is working on the issue and the next version of Aeon may resolve or greatly reduce the number of times you experience tearing.

There isn't another vis going that can beat G-force or Aeon despite the stutter. So as I said before give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

sharok

Post by sharok »

I don't use a tool bar or anything else for that matter and Aeon still has issues. I'd be a happy customer if Aeon stutters only when I'm using a tool bar or another application. But it happens just all the time.

I gave him the benefit of doubt. I purchased Aeon for the second time, this time I got the Platinum one with the hope that it'll work correctly. For the past TWO YEARS other users and I been talking about this issue. He never responded or participated in any of our discussions. And you or another user have to act as an advocate and just speculate that "you're sure he's working on it".
If you read my previous posts, you'll see I said it many times that G-Force and Aeon are best Vis in the market. That is not what we're debating here. Please read the title of this thread.

I'm sure he's busy as you say, everybody's busy. But I'm sure no matter how busy he is, he can always come here and write one line only, so other users won't have to answer the phone for him and say that "Mr. Andy's busy".

With all due respect, it appears that you're a customer yourself and not the developer. Why are you answering for him? Since you're a customer, there's nothing that you can tell me which I already don't know. He should be the one to care.

I'm sure the developer is a grown up and can read and write English, but where is he? He (sound spectrum) was the entity that I purchased Aeon from, not you.

I'm simply mentioning the facts and I hope you understand that he is the one who should be talking to me not anybody else. Cause it'll be a waste of time for you and me.