can't save changes in 5.3

Discussion forum for G-Force users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

Daddo

can't save changes in 5.3

Post by Daddo »

Hoping someone with mac experience can help me out...

I wasn't experiencing a very smooth run lately so I did a clean install. Turns out I installed 5.3- cool! The running is back to normal but now I am having trouble saving themes and using the toolbar....

I'm on a mac running Mavericks. I've never liked editing themes using the onscreen menus so I've always used the toolbar. When I open the toolbar while Gforce is running in itunes, the theme value is none and all of the sprites, particles, colormaps, etc. etc. are completely empty.

when I go back and click my mouse on the running Gforce window, everything populates and changing elements are reflected properly on the tool bar. However, I am not able to save changes to any themes....for instance if I deselect sprites, they are selected again the next time I open Gforce....same with other elements. Additionally, images I've added to the sprites folder do not show in the list of sprites. If I attempt to use the on screen editor. I see locks on all the elements.

Clearly something is wrong with my install but I can't figure out what....any ideas?
No matter where go ...
...there you are

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

Hello Daddo

You install is fine. The toolbar no longer supports creating a theme. That option has been removed from the Toolbar. The only way to save a theme is via the new UI.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello Daddo

The 'Save Theme' feature was removed from the ToolBar a while ago. There have been numerous requests from users to have this feature re-installed. SoundSpectrum are currently working hard to release new versions of Aeon, SoftSkies and WhiteCap all of which are behind schedule. Then a NEW program called Flux will be released, after that SoundSpectrum have promised to re-visit the G-Force ToolBar and re-instate the 'Save Theme' feature.
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

Daddo

Post by Daddo »

thanks - good info
put me down as adamantly wanting to save via the toolbar
No matter where go ...
...there you are

Daddo

Post by Daddo »

okay...
working my way through setting up a custom theme using the on screen menu...

i added a bunch of images to the abstract folder in my sprite library...they do not show as selectable in the menu...they are not there at all

how do i do that? (used to be automatic - as soon as the images were there, they were available after a force restart)

thanks
Andrew
No matter where go ...
...there you are

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello Daddo

See if this helps:
Step I

Create Custom Catagories for (each):

Menu->ColorMaps-> ColorMap Catagories-> (Custom) Edit
Menu->WaveShapes->WaveShape Catagories->(Custom) Edit
Menu->FlowFields->FlowField Catagories->(Custom) Edit
Menu->Particles-> Particle Catagories-> (Custom) Edit
Menu->Sprites-> Sprite Catagories-> (Custom) Edit

You click the 'name' to preview, and Check to include.

These files are located in:
C:\Users\Your UserAccount\AppData\Roaming\SoundSpectrum\G-Force\Categories\Type\(Custom).txt
where Type= (ColorMaps, WaveShapes, Flowfields, Particles, Sprite')

You can copy/rename these '(Custom).txt' to 'ANYTHING.txt', but you MUST edit the file line:

CategoryTitle = "(Custom)"
to
CategoryTitle = "ANYTHING"

Step II

You then create a (Custom) or New(Your Theme) Theme...
Menu->Settings->Theme Editor->{ (Custom Theme) | Create New Theme }
and attach each Catagory you want associated with your theme.

'+'Include Catagory
'-' Exclude Catagory
' ' Ignore Catagory

These file are located in:
C:\Users\Your UserAccount\AppData\Roaming\SoundSpectrum\G-Force\Themes\(Custom Theme).txt
C:\Users\Your UserAccount\AppData\Roaming\SoundSpectrum\G-Force\Themes\(Your Theme).txt

Step III

Menu->Active Themes->{ (Custom Theme) | Your New Theme }
OR
Menu->Settings->Startup Theme->{ (Custom Theme) | Your New Theme }
Regards BTT

jerohm

Post by jerohm »

Daddo wrote:...

i added a bunch of images to the abstract folder in my sprite library...they do not show as selectable in the menu...they are not there at all

Andrew
[Win7] I created my OWN folders with MY sprites in the distribution directory,
C:\Program Files (x86)\SoundSpectrum\G-Force\Packages\G-Force.Sprite.package\MyStuff

and they ARE available in the Menu UI to set up a custom category,
C:\Users\User Account\AppData\Roaming\SoundSpectrum\G-Force\Categories\Sprite\(Custom).txt

Are you sure you aren't running into a permission issue... I can't see why your method wouldn't also work however... :?

Daddo

Post by Daddo »

thanks for the help, but so far no luck....

this is a MAC, so placing these images, fist in ...
/Users/Daddo/Library/Application Support/SoundSpectrum/G-Force/Packages/G-Force.Sprite.package/Abstract

and then in
/Users/Daddo/Library/Application Support/SoundSpectrum/G-Force/Packages/G-Force.Sprite.package/Daddo

yields NO ability to see them in the onscreen menu
sprites>sprite categories>edit

all of my other custom changes have been saved by the way...so this remains my only issue (that and the fact that this was so much easier with the toolbar)
No matter where go ...
...there you are

Daddo

Post by Daddo »

while we're at it...the "shuffle sprites, particles, etc." settings are on the tool bar...how can I save the shuffle of these elements in my custom theme using the on screen menu?
No matter where go ...
...there you are

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello Daddo

I don't think there is a way to do this without the ToolBar. I could be wrong, maybe someone has found a way around this.
Regards BTT

Hermes

Post by Hermes »

This only being able to save custom themes by way of 'new' UI (sorry, I just updated), is this still the case? No saving themes in Toolbar?

If so, that is very disappointing. I find navigating this UI very tedious. Trying out new things and having to back out through the menu seems *much* slower than doing the same via the Toolbar.

I realize that a lot of work must have gone into the UI, but why not leave saving via Toolbar also an option? It's what I was used to, and, in my opinion, faster.

Rob

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

Hermes wrote:This only being able to save custom themes by way of 'new' UI (sorry, I just updated), is this still the case? No saving themes in Toolbar?

If so, that is very disappointing. I find navigating this UI very tedious. Trying out new things and having to back out through the menu seems *much* slower than doing the same via the Toolbar.

I realize that a lot of work must have gone into the UI, but why not leave saving via Toolbar also an option? It's what I was used to, and, in my opinion, faster.

Rob
You are correct.

I don't know the reason why but they did not include the save theme function when the put back the toolbar.

Plenty of us are waiting for them to reinstate the save theme via toolbar.

DanPin

Post by DanPin »

Well, this sucks; you will have to use the on-screen menus to save your theme, which is not really useful. Please, we want the "Save" button back on the toolbar!

Hermes

Post by Hermes »

So the only way to save a custom theme is to click 'Set' on 1 of the 5 Memory Dots?

That's it? You get 5 slots?! Please somebody tell me I'm wrong.

I don't see a Save option in the Active Theme pop-up. And I can't seem to find anywhere else to 'Save'.

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

Hermes wrote:So the only way to save a custom theme is to click 'Set' on 1 of the 5 Memory Dots?

That's it? You get 5 slots?! Please somebody tell me I'm wrong.

I don't see a Save option in the Active Theme pop-up. And I can't seem to find anywhere else to 'Save'.
I could never really figure it out but you click on the wav shapes (or other) icon go the bottom and click edit, pick the ones you want and then you can select that from the custom theme section found in the ui options.

I really wish I could figure it out so that I actually want to use it. That way I could help.

A comprehensive explanation of how to save themes has been asked for and to my knowledge one was never given.