tearing

Discussion forum for Aeon users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello sharok

I'm doing just fine thanks, how about you?

You said some very nice things about me, thank you it means a lot. No need to worry about that little episode, it's all in the past.

Regarding updates on reflection maybe I should have said:-
andy55 wrote:
........The bad news is that until we ship this new mobile software platform for iOS, all you beautiful supporters of SoundSpectrum won't see much in new releases to existing products until after that........and we're looking at a spring release.

Andrew O'Meara
SoundSpectrum CTO
.....Then it's gonna be a heck of a long time before we see any updates. (that passed the word censor)
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

andy55
Site Admin

Post by andy55 »

BTT wrote:Hello sharok

I know like most of us you are disappointed with the pause (stuttering) issue with Aeon, and probably like myself it ruins the whole Aeon experience. However, as I have said before the problem has been there since the day Aeon was first released, and I am convinced that if the pause (stuttering) issue could be resolved then it would have been done so by now.
The issue with a stutter when a scene loads is that it takes time for scene resources to be instantiated and allocated when the scene starts. Unfortunately, I'd SO love to do this in the background (in another thread), but OpenGL/D3D operations have to occur in the main thread so hence you see that momentary lag while that happens (resulting in that horrible stutter).

That all said, maybe there's a crafty way to reapproach the problem because I do agree that it really does interrupt the visual experience and flow big time. However, there's only one of me unfortunately and the mobile app has to take priority so we can keep the doors open and lights on here. But I *have* added this priority to my "short list" to look at for another round of releases within the next week or so (the other item is to add a vertical sync pref flag for people who feel strongly about frame tearing). I keep this thread updated here, but you have my word I'll look into this issue within the next week to see if it can at least be partially addressed with a trick or two.

sharok

Post by sharok »

andy55 wrote:
BTT wrote:Hello sharok

I know like most of us you are disappointed with the pause (stuttering) issue with Aeon, and probably like myself it ruins the whole Aeon experience. However, as I have said before the problem has been there since the day Aeon was first released, and I am convinced that if the pause (stuttering) issue could be resolved then it would have been done so by now.
The issue with a stutter when a scene loads is that it takes time for scene resources to be instantiated and allocated when the scene starts. Unfortunately, I'd SO love to do this in the background (in another thread), but OpenGL/D3D operations have to occur in the main thread so hence you see that momentary lag while that happens (resulting in that horrible stutter).

That all said, maybe there's a crafty way to reapproach the problem because I do agree that it really does interrupt the visual experience and flow big time. However, there's only one of me unfortunately and the mobile app has to take priority so we can keep the doors open and lights on here. But I *have* added this priority to my "short list" to look at for another round of releases within the next week or so (the other item is to add a vertical sync pref flag for people who feel strongly about frame tearing). I keep this thread updated here, but you have my word I'll look into this issue within the next week to see if it can at least be partially addressed with a trick or two.
Good Afternoon Andy,

Many many thanks for sharing your thoughts about this issue, comforting me and others who were wondering about this issue and not forgetting about us. Also many thanks for your hard work and the time that you put into creating beauties like Aeon.

That is a GREAT NEWS. I can wait as long as it takes.

Merry Christmas to you, to your family and all the SS people. Thanks again for another great year with your fantastic products.

Your loyal customer,

Sharok

FrankN

Post by FrankN »

Hi Sharok,

It was no problem at all! Thanks for being so understanding, and I'm glad we could help!

sharok

Post by sharok »

FrankN wrote:Hi Sharok,

It was no problem at all! Thanks for being so understanding, and I'm glad we could help!
Hi Frank. Special thanks to you for tolerating me another year. :lol:

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

FrankN

Post by FrankN »

You've been a joy to tolerate! Merry Christmas, from us, to you and yours.

FrankN

Post by FrankN »

Hey guys!

In case you haven't seen it yet, the new Aeon beta deals with the tearing issue. Andy worked really hard on this, so we'd love to get some feedback from you ASAP on our support ticket site (https://www.soundspectrum.com/support/contact.html).

To download the beta installer, go to the URL below, and add yourself to the beta tester's list. You must be a Platinum license holder. Then, download the installer as normal, but choose the "(Beta)" download link.

- https://www.soundspectrum.com/support/beta_list.html

Look forward to hearing from you!