tearing

Discussion forum for Aeon users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

n3wc0m3

Post by n3wc0m3 »

I have...
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 FX-Series 8-Core Black Edition

Gigabyte R9 280X GDDR5-3GB DVI-I/HDMI/2xMini DP OC Graphics Card (GV-R928XOC-3GD REV2

Sorry, didn't get a chance to install Winamp yet... I picked a bad time to start this thread... midst of summer activities and all.

Also worth noting... the only other time I have ever seen tearing on anything is when running an older game on a newer video card. This usually results in the game trying to run at higher FPS than the devices can refresh and the mismatch causes the tearing. This is the first time I've ever seen tearing at lower FPS than the monitors refresh rate. High end graphic games like BF4 often fluctuate from 60fps down to mid 40's and they don't tear. Even if I lock AEON at 30 fps and it stays perfectly consistent, it still tears.

Another thing I think is worth noting... if you have never seen tearing before in a game, you are likely not to notice it in AEON right away because everything is morphing so quickly and it blends in and also it only happens in certain scenes... once your eyes adjust to it though... it will annoy you forever.

I really think that if some of you go to the cosmic gate scene and observe closely as the gates pass, you will see tearing.

One more note... it seems to be worse on AMD cards than on Nvidia. My old GTX 295 / e8400 Wolfdale with 4GB 1066 actually tears much less than my new AMD system and Nvidias Vsync seems to also help more than AMD's "wait for vertical refresh".

n3wc0m3

Post by n3wc0m3 »

... still happens in Winamp.

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

Ok, I figured I would take a look at my version of Aeon (which I dont view very often) and see if I could see this tearing effect. Originally I thought it was something happening with only the newer versions because no one ever mentioned it before.

So, Good Eye! it is there. The Cosmic gate scene tears on entering. I never noticed it before most likely due to not really watching Aeon much.

There is also some stuttering happening when scenes change.

Should be working smoothly.

I think the only way to solve this is to buy a monitor with a true 120 or beyond refresh rate.

If it still happens at 120 refresh rate then who knows?

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello All

Have just spent 25 minutes viewing Aeon with Cosmic Gates as the only Scene running, There was no tearing effect full stop. I checked out the three screen shots posted by n3wc0m3, and there it is 'TEARING'. Now, my PC specs are nowhere in the same league as those of n3wc0m3 (not to mention ozbeats) so, why does this happen on some systems and not others?

Would as many users of Aeon as possible try viewing 'Cosmic Gates' and report back here with your findings.
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello All

For those willing to help with this problem:

1) Press D to turn off Scene Slideshow.
2) Press S to cycle through the Scenes until Cosmic Gate loads.
3) Press A to go back to previous scenes then S to go back to Cosmic Gate.
Regards BTT

ozbeats

Post by ozbeats »

n3wc0m3 wrote: it seems to be worse on AMD cards than on Nvidia. My old GTX 295 / e8400 Wolfdale with 4GB 1066 actually tears much less than my new AMD system and Nvidias Vsync seems to also help more than AMD's "wait for vertical refresh".
Very true statement, hence this is why I have always stuck with Nvidia's GPU's of sizes between 512mb for an ancient ASUS "Black Knight" branded 9800GTX+, a GigaByte GTS450 1 GB and now a 2 GB ASUS GTX660Ti.

The ASUS Nvidia GTX 660Ti is excellent and with V.Sync enabled tearing in my SS visualizers is a thing of the past.

Vertical Sync or V.Sync is essential, found in the "3D Settings" sub-menu of the Nvidia Control Panel, within the "Custom 3d Settings", "Add programs".

When using V.Sync users should also enable "Triple Buffering", directly above the Vertical Sync setting. For AMD users, I'm just not sure where to find it as I don't use AMD GPU's or CPU's at all.

BTW: ASUS is my favourite GPU manufacturer because they offer an ASUS GPU Tweak utility for easy factory set overclocking in one click.

Cheers everyone, :)

Alf

andy55
Site Admin

Post by andy55 »

Video tearing occurs when the next frame is set to display when the the current frame is only partway drawn. Software that renders video has the choice to "sync" to the display refresh rate (typically 60hz), but this often causes the observed frame rate to instantly drop to 30fps. The reason is because once frames take any longer than 1/60th of a second to render, the system will wait until the following refresh cycle to make the frame live. In other words, if it takes 1.00001/60 of a second to render each frame and vertical sync is enabled, you'll get exactly 30fps (vs. 59.9fps with occasional frame tearing).

Frame tearing occurs almost everywhere -- it's just that you can only notice it when there's lots of graphics change occurring. In a first person game, this generally only occurs when something is moving fast right *and* is front of the camera (and usually promptly disappears a fraction of a second later due to the nature of things that move very fast). In something unique like Aeon or WhiteCap averaging 40-50 fps, you'll notice tearing since the mesh or scene is reacting to, well, your music. :) If I added frame syncing, tearing would cease, but that comes at the cost of "locking" the frame rate to the next lowest submultiple of 60 (30, or 15 if vis drops below 30 due to high load as explained above). Being locked at 30 can be pretty bad, let alone 15 so that's why I've always been so reluctant to enable it.

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

Hi Andy

Thank you for posting that info!!, now we have a post to reference people too when they have questions about tearing.

sharok

Post by sharok »

I wish Andy would address the stuttering issue during scene transition also, if possible.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello sharok

I know like most of us you are disappointed with the pause (stuttering) issue with Aeon, and probably like myself it ruins the whole Aeon experience. However, as I have said before the problem has been there since the day Aeon was first released, and I am convinced that if the pause (stuttering) issue could be resolved then it would have been done so by now.
Regards BTT

sharok

Post by sharok »

BTT wrote:Hello sharok

I know like most of us you are disappointed with the pause (stuttering) issue with Aeon, and probably like myself it ruins the whole Aeon experience. However, as I have said before the problem has been there since the day Aeon was first released, and I am convinced that if the pause (stuttering) issue could be resolved then it would have been done so by now.
Hi BTT,
How are you doing? I hope you had a great holidays and survived the black Friday. :lol:

You're correct. Since SS also officially announced that there'll be no more upgrades at least anytime soon, there's no point of insisting on this issue. I purchased G-Force and Aeon (platinum) in May of this year and I think I'll stick with them until they come out with a better version in the future (no reason to renew the licenses for 2015).

Many thanks again to you for the beautiful colormaps you made us and many thanks for your patience and time in this forum with me and people like me.

The least that I gained from this forum was to get to know a nice and honest person (you) which was a pleasure. I also think I owe you and the other moderator an apology for going off the other day. But please try to understand and give me some credit for that. I apologize again. My intention was not to upset you or anybody else.

Merry Christmas to you and to your family.

FrankN

Post by FrankN »

Hi Sharok,

Let me say again, that we don't intend to stop updating our software any time soon. We just wanted to explain why it has been so long since our last update, 6 months ago.

sharok

Post by sharok »

FrankN wrote:Hi Sharok,

Let me say again, that we don't intend to stop updating our software any time soon. We just wanted to explain why it has been so long since our last update, 6 months ago.
Hi Frank,
Thanks again for clarification. I think I misunderstood.

FrankN

Post by FrankN »

No worries!