tearing

Discussion forum for Aeon users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

n3wc0m3

tearing

Post by n3wc0m3 »

Hi all. I have had this program for a while and like it a lot, but I experience an incredible amount of tearing on a lot of scenes. I have disabled many of them due to this. Up until now, I assumed my hardware was at fault because I had tried everything including vsync, lower graphics settings, adjusting the target frame rate to 60 and 30 and nothing helped. I was running a Core 2 Wolfdale and a Nvidia GTX 295.

I just built a whole new system with an AMD FX 8350, R9 280X and Win 8.1. I installed everything as clean as possible and all drivers are up to date. It tears worse on this system than the other one. I have tried wait for vertical refresh, and played with every graphics setting that can be adjusted in both Aeon and Catalyst. I just can't figure this out. I don't experience any problems in any games or other 3d applications.

This happens the worst in scenes with 3d objects like the boxes in the cosmic tunnel scene and the satellite.

The frame rate does drop now and then when target is set to 60, but this happens in games too and no tearing there. I set the target to 30 and it doesn't fluctuate at all, but the tearing is actually worse.

Anyone have advice for this?

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello n3wc0m3

I suggest you contact SoundSpectrum by clicking on the link below:

http://www.soundspectrum.com/support/
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

DireWolf

Post by DireWolf »

Did you try running it in OpenGL instead of direct3D or vice versa. Might be something to try, Don't see why you are getting tearing.

What media player are you running it with?

cwoolrich

Post by cwoolrich »

I am curious, what is tearing? If it means seeing one scene fade while another one loads I love it.

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

cwoolrich wrote:I am curious, what is tearing? If it means seeing one scene fade while another one loads I love it.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello juxtiphi

As cwoolrich asked, what is tearing? never heard of it before. I fail to see what your pic shows at tearing point 1 & 2.

Educate me.
Regards BTT

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello juxtiphi

Just had the magnify glass on your pic, now I know what tearing is. So what causes this to happen?
Regards BTT

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

BTT wrote:Hello juxtiphi

As cwoolrich asked, what is tearing? never heard of it before. I fail to see what your pic shows at tearing point 1 & 2.

Educate me.
Tearing usually happens when the video onscreen isn't keeping up with the refresh rate.

here is a better image.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Helllo juxtiphi

Many thanks. See, you do learn something every day.
Regards BTT

n3wc0m3

Post by n3wc0m3 »

DireWolf wrote:Did you try running it in OpenGL instead of direct3D or vice versa. Might be something to try, Don't see why you are getting tearing.

I tried open gl... no change.

I use the stand alone version. The thing that gets me is that this happens on two completely different systems... an Intel/Nvidia and an AMD and tried two different monitors. I took a copy to a friend at work and he installed it at home and he says it happens on his system too.

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

n3wc0m3 wrote:
DireWolf wrote:Did you try running it in OpenGL instead of direct3D or vice versa. Might be something to try, Don't see why you are getting tearing.

I tried open gl... no change.

I use the stand alone version. The thing that gets me is that this happens on two completely different systems... an Intel/Nvidia and an AMD and tried two different monitors. I took a copy to a friend at work and he installed it at home and he says it happens on his system too.
I'm sorry I cannot compare my experience with yours, I dont have the current version and the one i have seems to run fine.

BTW I'm running a ATI Radeon HD 5770

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello n3wc0m3

I have today Wednesday 25 June 02.30 GMT sent an email to SoundSpectrum asking if they can help with this problem.
Regards BTT

FrankN

Post by FrankN »

Hey guys,

We're in contact now, and working to find a solution to the problem. If we do, we'll post it here.

n3wc0m3

Post by n3wc0m3 »

I have found a good temporary solution. The problem only happens in full screen mode. So if I run in windowed mode, and stretch the window to fit the whole screen, I can then tweak the picture size of my monitor slightly to knock the frame off the screen. As far as I can tell, the visual quality is just as good as full screen mode, but without any tearing.

So why only in full screen mode on certain scenes? I am also using the stand alone version... maybe that matters. For the sake of troubleshooting, can someone else try running the stand alone version in full screen mode, and go right to the cosmic gate scene. Focus on the gates as they pass. I have installed this to 5 different machines now, and tried 6 different monitors. One of them was actually done by a friend without me being there, to eliminate my own possible stupidity from the equation. All of them ripped hard on cosmic gate. I would be very surprised if no one else sees this.

I will also try installing winamp to see if it is just the stand alone doing it.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello n3wc0m3

Just as a matter of interest how much memory does your system have?

Also, have you tried with Winamp yet?
Regards BTT