SoundSpectrum NEWS

Discussion forum for Aeon users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

FrankN

Post by FrankN »

Yes, we'd certainly love to know anything that you changed about your settings to get your software to run smoothly.

jerohm

Post by jerohm »

I have a pretty reasonable (mobile) setup, and I get less than optimal transitions all the time... I am NOT blaming the software per se, just that SS software is very resource intensive. I CAN tell you, browsers and Skype do a LOT of things, that most people are unaware of under MOST conditions. It you want optimal performance, kill them off. On the other hand, I would really like to know about people who experience NO LAGS... and what is their EXACT running configurations... I keep hearing the Win8 and the GF/64 actually works... where I guess it is possible, I would bet heavily against it... and I COULD CERTAINLY BE WRONG. I am wrong all the time... just right more often :wink:

sharok

Post by sharok »

Hi jerohm,

I use neither Skype nor any other software on my music alptop except Winamp and SS products (Aeon and G-Force). My laptop is a dedicated music laptop and is not being used for anything else.

Laptop Config:

Windows 7 (64bit), Intel Core i7 3630-QM 2.4 GHz, Nvidia GTX 660M (2GB), 750GB seagate Momentus XT 7200 RPM HD with 8GB of memory and HDMI connection. This laptop configuration is more than enough to play any music player with any visualization software on it with no issues.

I have no issues with G-Force.
I was interested in purchasing the Whitecap also, but since I saw the glitch with Aeon, I decided to wait and see if they can resolve the issue with Aeon and Whitecap.

cwoolrich

Post by cwoolrich »

FrankN wrote:Yes, we'd certainly love to know anything that you changed about your settings to get your software to run smoothly.
I don't know if this helps anyone,
Scene Slideshow- 20 secs
transition time- 0.26
timescale- 2
clormap sideshow- 10 sec
cholmap transition-0.20

target frame rate-31

this works for my system.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello cwoolrich

Many thanks for posting your settings for Aeon. I am sure there will be a lot of Aeon users changing their settings too. It will be interesting to see if others benefit in the same way as you have.
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

sharok

Post by sharok »

Hi cwoolrich,

Thank you for the tip.

I tried your settings but it still pauses during transitions.

Sincerely,

Sharok

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

sharok wrote:Hi cwoolrich,

Thank you for the tip.

I tried your settings but it still pauses during transitions.

Sincerely,

Sharok
Hi sharok

What type of video card do you use? tell us how you have your desktop set up? one monitor or two?

open your task manger and look in the services tab, how many unnecessary services are running?

Do you go online with this laptop? if so are you running a process heavy anti virus prog?

sharok

Post by sharok »

Hello juxtiphi,

Laptop Config:

Windows 7 (64bit), Intel Core i7 3630-QM 2.4 GHz, Nvidia GTX 660M (2GB), 750GB seagate Momentus XT 7200 RPM HD with 8GB of memory and HDMI connection. This laptop configuration is more than enough to play any music player with any visualization software on it with no issues.
I use Norton Internet Security (no anti virus since I do not surf the web with this laptop other than Windows update) and I do not use external monitor (I use hdmi to TV).

I have no issues with G-Force.
Last edited by sharok on Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cwoolrich

Post by cwoolrich »

on my computer that setting starts loading the next scene slowly in the background without any sudden transition. it is actually cool because i see the next scene slowly fading into the current scene. I am running a Vista with a crappy onmotherboard ATI Radeon.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello sharok
I use Norton Internet Security (no anti virus since I do not surf the web with this laptop other than Windows update) and I do not use external monitor (I use hdmi to TV).
With those specs Aeon should fly like a bird. You could try uninstalling Aeon then download a fresh copy.

http://www.soundspectrum.com/support/do ... ducts.html
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

sharok

Post by sharok »

Hi BTT,

I just uninstalled/reinstalled Aeon.

Still the same.

What's puzzling me is that I increased the frame rate in G-Force from 35 (default) to 53 and I get no pause during the transitions, but with Aeon I left everything at default and I still get a pause on some scenes.

ozbeats

Post by ozbeats »

Hi Sharok, BTT, Everyone,

Here's my configs:

I use G-force, Aeon and Whitecap all at 60fps (maximum framerate on a 60hZ Monitor) using HDMI from PC/Laptop to 32 inch TV's at 1080p and I always set the quality to high.

My systems specs:

1. HP TOWER - Windows 8.1 PRO 64 Bit with Windows Media Center,
HP Core2Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz CPU (Quadcore), 8 GB System RAM, 120 GB SSD (System drive) + 1TB HDD additional internal drive,
ASUS branded Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 Ti with 2GB of GPU RAM, DX11.1, Shader Model 5.0, Direct Compute, Open GL 4.4

2. Toshiba Notebook - Windows 8.1 PRO 64 Bit with Windows Media Center,
Intel® Core™ i7 processor 3630M (2.4GHz - 3.4GHz, 1600MHz FSB, 6MB L2 Cache), 8 GB System RAM, 750 GB HDD with HDD Accelerator,
nVIDIA GeForce GT 740M 2GB With Optimus + Intel® HD 4000 Graphics

All graphics are smooth and recordable via Nvidia's GeForce Experience "Shadowplay" when I use my tower (Shadowplay via GFE requires a minimum GTX 650+)

All transitions are 99% smooth on both HP Pavilion and Toshiba Notebook, great results and clarity when recording standalone visualizers via Shadowplay on my HP Pavilion ;)

One hint, keep your GPU Graphics drivers up to date, Adobe programs like Shockwave and AIR up to date and Java updated as well (always).

Thanks, Hope this helps someone :)

Alf in Australia

jerohm

Post by jerohm »

Just to make sure I know what I am talking about, I downloaded/installed Aeon 3.6/5765. Aeon, under most instances, appears to be LESS [CPU] resource intensive than GF (not to change the subject, but Flowfields [expected] and Sprites [???] are GF's highest resource drains). I ran with Debug: Full (Shift-D, Shift-D) and monitored load, more importantly sleep, and the correlation with the running log. I also had the AMD System Monitor running.

i7-3720qm/AMD 7850m (enduro driver model), 16G, Samsung msata EVO & ssd pro @ 1920x1080

Hesitation ONLY happens when sleep == 0, which most often coincides with logged scene: name events

GPU utilization: less than 50% (GF is FAR more CPU, rather than GPU intensive)

Random Thoughts: I wonder if hesitation is more likely on mobile platforms due to the 'turbo' power optimization algorithms. Unless overclocked, desktops versions aren't all that much more capable than the mobile chips, EXCEPT they are allowed to run the clock closer to the turbo maximum (due to better cooling, at the cost of ~double the power consumption). There is far less jumping of the clock multiplier [on Desktop systems] all over the place.

Also, after Aeon has been running for a while (5-10 minutes), hesitation seems to be much less of a problem... maybe due to cached (pre)calculations ??.

I am actually pretty impressed at the improvements since Aeon's initial release.

just my .02 (which might not be worth even that)

jerohm

Here is ANOTHER Idea

Post by jerohm »

I outlined this for Whitecaps, but I now have implemented this for the entire SS suite, for my machine:

Code: Select all

Download  &#40;Free for < 4G &#41; Radeon RAMDisk Configuration Utility &#40;or whatever your choice&#41;
Create .5-1 Gig Ramdisk as Z&#58;

cd "C&#58;\Program Files &#40;x86&#41;\SoundSpectrum\Aeon"

ren Packages  "&#40;Dist&#41; Packages"
ren Resources "&#40;Dist&#41; Resources"
ren Library   "&#40;Dist&#41; Library"

mkdir Z&#58;\Aeon
mkdir z&#58;\Aeon\Packages
xcopy /s /Y "&#40;Dist&#41; Packages" z&#58;\Aeon\Packages

mkdir z&#58;\Aeon\Resources
xcopy /s /Y "&#40;Dist&#41; Resources" z&#58;\Aeon\Resources

mkdir z&#58;\Aeon\Library
xcopy /s /Y "&#40;Dist&#41; Library" z&#58;\Aeon\Library

mklink /d Packages Z&#58;\Aeon\Packages
mklink /d Resources Z&#58;\Aeon\Resources
mklink /d Library Z&#58;\Aeon\Library

A couple of things... the size of your Ramdisk may be an issue if you run virtual machines and only have 8G of ram... ASSUME you need ~6G to run vanilla Win7 without any fancy modifications. If you have personal work that ends up residing on the ramdisk, BACKUP YOUR work up. There is a difference between 'del' and 'rmdir' AND YOU BETTER UNDERSTAND it (Not an issue if you are just installing a distribution release).

If you decide to try this... report back your findings... please.
j
Last edited by jerohm on Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sharok

Post by sharok »

Good morning jerohm,

I don't run virtual machine and my laptop is a dedicated laptop for music only. I don't do any personal work or web surfing with my laptop.

Is there anything that I need to change to make Aeon run smoother?

I use Nvidia GTX 660M. I changed the laptop setting to "High Power", I did the same thing for the video card.

I had the Turbo Boost off before (for my i7 processor), I just turned it on but it did not help. Since it made no difference, I left it on.

I'm not familiar with the stuff you did (please forgive my ignorance), I'm familiar with Windows GUI only.

What would you like me to setup? Would you please take me through the
steps?

Earlier, you mentioned "Hesitation ONLY happens when sleep == 0, which most often coincides with logged scene: name events ", is there any way not to let Aeon get to sleep ==0?

Sincerely,

Sharok