Using JPGs

Discussion forum for G-Force users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

kirkilj

Using JPGs

Post by kirkilj »

I just started experimenting with G-Force and have a few questions about incorporating images.

I can see from the script examples that the duration can be controlled by a variable. Is there any way to control the time between successive images?

Is there a way to control how a foreground image blends with the visualization? I'm thinking of blending options similar to Photoshop layer blending options. Is there an opacity control as well?

Is there a way to dictate the order in which images are shown? Is it alphabetical by filename?

Thanks for any answers,

John

evilded777

Post by evilded777 »

I'd be interested in any of these answers too.

Some things I have found:

Controlling the duration of a sprite is certainly possible by setting the sprite_duration pref in a script, but setting the sprite_interval doesn't really seem to work.

You can load a random sprite with StartRandomSprite();

So far, I'm not sure I've acutally gotten a foreground to work.

Do not believe that sprites are loaded by filename unless specifically called by filename.

keycompton
Site Admin

Post by keycompton »

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Instructions for photo / video sources in G-Force:
(1) Locate your G-Force folder (on a pc, it should be in \Program Files\SoundSpectrum\G-Force) (on a mac, it should be in Library / iTunes / iTunes Plug-In)
(2) Open the "Sprites" folder within the G-Force folder
(3) Place your photo / video file into the "(Auto Backgrounds)" or "(Auto Foregrounds)" folder. If you want only your own photos to show, you can delete the current files / folders.
(4) Now restart your G-Force or press "Shift U" to rescan the sprites folders.... To force launch one of the background / foreground spites, press "Shift Y" and to kill any running sprites, press "K".

When G-Force is running in it's default mode, Sprites launch occasionally and at random intervals. However, you can press "Shift Y" to launch a Sprite at any time that G-Force is running and to kill any running sprites, press "K".

To control the frequency and duration, you can modify these settings by changing your G-Force Preferences File, which can be found by searching your hard drive for a file folder entitled "G-Force". You should (on a PC) find two such file folders -- one located in your "Program Files" folder and another located in you "Documents and Settings" folder. Please open the G-Force folder (the file path is typically C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\G-Force) and open the appropriate Preferences file -- from there you can modify a variety of settings which are described in the "Customizing" section of the G-Force documentation. As it relates to Sprites, "SInt" will change the number of interval seconds between launching sprites and "SDur" will change the number of seconds that a sprite is on screen.

Leukoplast

Post by Leukoplast »

THIS IS AWSOME! I can add whatever pics I want..G-Force is pure genious!

I am going to have so much fun with this..thank you andy..thank you so much!

duncan

More sprite controls

Post by duncan »

Unfortunately there is no way to do "Photoshop-style" blending with sprites. They will always appear colored by whatever ColorMap is loaded.

As for ordering of sprites and the time inbetween them, in addition to changing the settings, you can write a "config file" script that will load specific sprites at specific times which you specify. Then, when you are running GForce you can cause the script to load via a control key, or cause it to run whenever a certain mp3 file is played (see the config files for specific documentation on how to do this.). This can be quite fun, I once created a very unique slideshow of photos for one of my college art classes.

kirkilj

Blending Styles Etc.

Post by kirkilj »

My intended first use of JPGs with G-Force was for a high school prom. They loved the visualizations, but I had to switch to standard slide-show software to show photos from the past school year. With GF's color blending, the resultant images were downright scary and didn't lend itself to a reflective "awwhhhhh" experience. I'd love to control the transitions into and out of the JPG such as wipes, fades, page curls, etc.. I guess I could try to find a video mixer that would allow me to use G-Force with slide-show software. Does anyone have another ideas? I suppose I could check out VJ software.

Thanks for the responses,

John

duncan

View my thread on using original colors in sprites

Post by duncan »

For a slideshow-type experience, you could use the method I described in this post to retain the image's natural colors while in G-Force. Sounds like that might be close to what you're looking for.

Or, if you have access to video-editing software, you could also simply use Darkroom to record an mpg of G-Force effects, and then put your slideshow images on top of that, using After Effects, Premiere, or Final Cut Pro.

Duncan

brightblack

Scripting GForce

Post by brightblack »

Hi all, sorry but this is a complete self-promo. I've written a bit of a how to on images/movies and scripting GForce. The pages are in flux right now as I add a bunch of new thoughts, but I think the gist is there. Let me know what you think.

http://www.brightblack.net/tech/gforcehowto1.html

Markdym

Post by Markdym »

Hi everyone

keycompton - thank you for your explanation of where to place images in the G-Force folders (I wish you had been around when I asked about this last year...).

However, one thing I am still a little mystified about is whether or not it is possible to control the frequency at which the images are displayed, and how long they are displayed for. Can this be done, or is it random?

Thanks in advance for any help with this...

gameon

Post by gameon »

Hi. I've place my personal photos in the folder and removed the others as detailed. Above. It works great, but after showing a photo - the photos stop. Is there a way to make the sys cycle through the photos in the directory without huge gaps in between them?

Matt

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

Markdym wrote:Hi everyone

keycompton - thank you for your explanation of where to place images in the G-Force folders (I wish you had been around when I asked about this last year...).

However, one thing I am still a little mystified about is whether or not it is possible to control the frequency at which the images are displayed, and how long they are displayed for. Can this be done, or is it random?

Thanks in advance for any help with this...
open the toolbar and then go to the pfrefs section for sprites there is a slider for shuffle speed and duration

espacepartout

problems!

Post by espacepartout »

sorry, I can't visualize my jpeg imagines in G-Force. I tryed to put them inside the Sprites folder, but I didn't find the "auto backgrounds" and "auto foregrands" folders! (the only folder is "Astronomy"..).
please, help me to resolve this problem. thanks
L

juxtiphi

Re: problems!

Post by juxtiphi »

espacepartout wrote:sorry, I can't visualize my jpeg imagines in G-Force. I tryed to put them inside the Sprites folder, but I didn't find the "auto backgrounds" and "auto foregrands" folders! (the only folder is "Astronomy"..).
please, help me to resolve this problem. thanks
L
if you look in the sprites folder you will see that some of the jpgs have this symbol in the name ( ~ ) try adding that to some of your jpgs and see if GF will recognise them.

espacepartout

THANKS!

Post by espacepartout »

Thank you for your assistance, finally now I stART to visualize my imagines!but, I would know wich is the best way to see them clearly, 'cause often there are too many themes that hide the pictures vision.

thanks. L

juxtiphi

Re: THANKS!

Post by juxtiphi »

espacepartout wrote:Thank you for your assistance, finally now I stART to visualize my imagines!but, I would know wich is the best way to see them clearly, 'cause often there are too many themes that hide the pictures vision.

thanks. L
thats how it is, GF kinda blends the pictures into the visuals. even if the pics are set to foreground they still have a transparency.