Album Art in WMP 10

Discussion forum for G-Force users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

tp2005

Re: Album Art in WMP 10

Post by tp2005 »

Better yet, how about setting up the next release to automatically display album art. All of my songs have the associated album at, but I spent the last 3 hours trying to edit the boot.txt file correctly, only to see additional info online, and I still don't have it working.

If you say, "To keep frame rates up", wouldn't it be easier to insert the needed text, then tell people to delete it, than to have so many people asking the same question: How do you make WMP10 show album art?

I was on the brink of asking for a refund because one paragraph you display omits WMP10 as one of the capable programs that can display it, then I see elsewhere online that WMP10 does support it, but I have entered all of your suggestions and I still have no album art.

keith

album art

Post by keith »

I have album art added to all my songs, I used a cool prog called fixtunes that serches and ads the album info for you. However I only get a black box where the album art should be. And it sounds like there is NO fix for this and product was advertised as having album art support. By the way itunes Does have the album art in their standard visualization so we know it can be done. I am feeling a little lied to and a little ripped off at this point since that was a main selling feature for me. But would like a solution since I do like the product otherwise but may seek a refund if not remidied.

cbob

Adding Album Art to WMA

Post by cbob »

Hi guys,
I don't know whether u have got the solution of adding WMA album art or not, yesterday I was trying to add album art into WMA and searching for help, I have done this with Windows Media Format SDK 9.5, I'm posting some sample code to do that.:-
This is the modification of metadataedit sample of the Media Format SDK.

HRESULT LoadPictureInBuffer(char * pszPic,BYTE **ppBuffer,unsigned int *pBufLen)
{

HRESULT hr=E_FAIL;
FILE * fp;

fp=fopen(pszPic,"rb");
if(fp==NULL)
return hr;

struct stat st;

stat(pszPic,&st);

unsigned int lFileSize=st.st_size;

if(!lFileSize)
return hr;

BYTE * pb=NULL;
pb=new(std::nothrow) BYTE[lFileSize+2];

if(pb==NULL)
return hr;

*ppBuffer=pb;

int ch;

unsigned int i=0;
while(fread(&ch,sizeof(char),1,fp)==sizeof(char))
{

pb[i++]=ch;
}

*pBufLen=i;

return S_OK;

}
//--------------------------------------------------------
//Adds album art to media, first param is
//WMA/Mp3 file path, second one is the
//picture file path
//--------------------------------------------------------
HRESULT AddArt(WCHAR * pwszInFile,char * pszPictureFile)
{

HRESULT hr = S_OK;
BYTE * pBuffer=NULL;
unsigned int picFileLen=0;
hr=LoadPictureInBuffer(pszPictureFile,&pBuffer,&picFileLen);

if(FAILED(hr))
return hr;

IWMMetadataEditor * pEditor = NULL;
IWMHeaderInfo3 * pHeaderInfo3 = NULL;

WCHAR * pwszAttribName=L"WM/Picture";

WM_PICTURE * pWmPicture;

do
{
hr = EditorOpenFile( pwszInFile, &pEditor, NULL, &pHeaderInfo3 );
if(FAILED( hr ) )
{
break;
}

pWmPicture = new WM_PICTURE;
pWmPicture->pwszMIMEType =L"image/jpeg";
pWmPicture->bPictureType = 3;
pWmPicture->pwszDescription = L"AlbumArt";
pWmPicture->dwDataLen = picFileLen;
pWmPicture->pbData = pBuffer;

hr = pHeaderInfo3->AddAttribute( 0,
pwszAttribName,
NULL,
WMT_TYPE_BINARY,
(BYTE *)pWmPicture,
sizeof(WM_PICTURE));

if( FAILED( hr ) )
{
_tprintf( _T( "AddAttribute failed for Attribute name %ws ( hr=0x%08x ).\n" ),
pwszAttribName, hr );
break;
}

hr = pEditor->Flush();
if( FAILED( hr ) )
{
_tprintf( _T( "Could not flush the file %ws ( hr=0x%08x ).\n" ),
pwszInFile, hr );
break;
}

hr = pEditor->Close();
if( FAILED( hr ) )
{
_tprintf( _T( "Could not close the file %ws ( hr=0x%08x ).\n" ),
pwszInFile, hr );
break;
}
}
while( FALSE );

SAFE_RELEASE( pHeaderInfo3 );
SAFE_RELEASE( pEditor );

if(pBuffer!=NULL)
delete [] pBuffer;
return hr;

}

keycompton
Site Admin

Re: album art

Post by keycompton »

keith wrote:I have album art added to all my songs, I used a cool prog called fixtunes that serches and ads the album info for you. However I only get a black box where the album art should be.
G-Force requires the installation of QuickTime for display of certain graphics and/or background images and sprites. If you are running into any problems related to image display within G-Force, we recommend that you install the standalone version of QuickTime (it's a free download and the link below does not require an install of iTunes).

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html

BigRyan

Post by BigRyan »

"Images for audio CD's are cached"

For Mp3's WMP simply downloads and saves 4 JPG's in the same folder as the songs Like this:

AlbumArt_{D8F678CD-E998-5F37-9015-BF773B8E8C2C}_Large.jpg
AlbumArt_{D8F678CD-E998-4F37-9015-BF773B8E8C2C}_Small.jpg
AlbumArtSmall.jpg
Folder.jpg

The Folder.jpg is the file EnergyBliss and others Display. How hard would it be to make a line of code that says "Show curent directory file name Folder.jpg" or what ever. Windows displays the Folder.jpg as the picture for the file folder in explorer when viewing "Thumbnails" Just does not seem it would be that hard, If its a legal thing then why not tell it to show image.jpg and we can just make a copy of the file, or even a setting like "File name for Displayed album art." This cant be that hard. Got to be a better sulution than adding images to Mp3's. I prefere less overhead in my music files anyway. Also What good does it do when you are playing an Audio CD. Other visualation play the cached image for CD's!

Anyway, the only reason I looked to G-Force was for the album art... O Well so much for that! I would acually be fine with Energy Bliss if I could tell it to Show the Cover Bigger, or customize the image area of the Album Art!

keycompton
Site Admin

Post by keycompton »

FYI, the upcoming 3.5.7 release of G-Force has some improved handling for WMP album art -- as for the date of this posting, you can access the 3.5.7 beta posting by adding yourself to the beta list below:

Add yourself to SoundSpectrum Beta List
- http://www.soundspectrum.com/support/beta_list.html

RiderFan

Re: album art

Post by RiderFan »

keycompton wrote:
keith wrote:I have album art added to all my songs, I used a cool prog called fixtunes that serches and ads the album info for you. However I only get a black box where the album art should be.
G-Force requires the installation of QuickTime for display of certain graphics and/or background images and sprites. If you are running into any problems related to image display within G-Force, we recommend that you install the standalone version of QuickTime (it's a free download and the link below does not require an install of iTunes).

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html
Will Quicktime Alternative work?

andy55
Site Admin

Post by andy55 »

BigRyan wrote:"Images for audio CD's are cached"

For Mp3's WMP simply downloads and saves 4 JPG's in the same folder as the songs Like this:

AlbumArt_{D8F678CD-E998-5F37-9015-BF773B8E8C2C}_Large.jpg
AlbumArt_{D8F678CD-E998-4F37-9015-BF773B8E8C2C}_Small.jpg
AlbumArtSmall.jpg
Folder.jpg

The Folder.jpg is the file EnergyBliss and others Display. How hard would it be to make a line of code that says "Show curent directory file name Folder.jpg" or what ever. Windows displays the Folder.jpg as the picture for the file folder in explorer when viewing "Thumbnails" Just does not seem it would be that hard, If its a legal thing then why not tell it to show image.jpg and we can just make a copy of the file, or even a setting like "File name for Displayed album art." This cant be that hard. Got to be a better sulution than adding images to Mp3's. I prefere less overhead in my music files anyway. Also What good does it do when you are playing an Audio CD. Other visualation play the cached image for CD's!

Anyway, the only reason I looked to G-Force was for the album art... O Well so much for that! I would acually be fine with Energy Bliss if I could tell it to Show the Cover Bigger, or customize the image area of the Album Art!
All the above is now done in G-Force 3.5.7.

Andy

ScAtMaN

Post by ScAtMaN »

How and where can we choose to display the folder.jpg?

I cant seem to find any mention of this feature in the docs or forum[/quote]

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

ScAtMaN wrote:

How and where can we choose to display the folder.jpg?

I cant seem to find any mention of this feature in the docs or forum
[/quote]

can you be a bit more specific, I'm not too sure what you mean.

ScAtMaN

Post by ScAtMaN »

In big Ryans post above he asks why he has to embed all his album art into the music files, why cant there be an option to use the folder.jpg file that WMP generates in each album directory.

Andy55 replied that all his suggestions have now made it into G-force.
So all I was wanting to know was how I can tell G-force to use the folder.jpg file in the album directory, unless this was dropped for some reason. The offical documentation and FAQ says that you still need to embed the artwork for it to work, is that still the case?

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

ScAtMaN wrote:In big Ryans post above he asks why he has to embed all his album art into the music files, why cant there be an option to use the folder.jpg file that WMP generates in each album directory.

Andy55 replied that all his suggestions have now made it into G-force.
So all I was wanting to know was how I can tell G-force to use the folder.jpg file in the album directory, unless this was dropped for some reason. The offical documentation and FAQ says that you still need to embed the artwork for it to work, is that still the case?

ok since the post was made way back in 06 and there doesnt seem to be an option for it in the visual preferences of the newer versions of GF I would go with what the docs say until andy can chime in and clear it up.
:D

ScAtMaN

Post by ScAtMaN »

I REALLY hope there is a way to do this.

I dont exactly relish the idea of adding images to 14000 tracks.

Andy or any dev about to help clarify :?:

markofkane

Post by markofkane »

ScAtMaN wrote:I REALLY hope there is a way to do this.

I dont exactly relish the idea of adding images to 14000 tracks.

Andy or any dev about to help clarify :?:
I am no dev, but if you allows Windows to add the missing Album are for you, and the Albums are not in their own folders (different singer, different album) you can have the wrong album art show up for songs at times.

I would also like a "free" way to add album art. I checked out Fixtunes, but it's not automatic.

Windows and other programs add the album art when you insert a music CD and are connected to the internet.

ScAtMaN

Post by ScAtMaN »

Yep, like I said I use WMP to rip music so I already have album art for each album in the following folder structure:
Artist-Album-folder.jpg

Like the poster above other programs and viz (like energy bliss) can use it without to much bother.