G Force, Softskies and J River Media Centre 12

Discussion forum for G-Force users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

lee269

G Force, Softskies and J River Media Centre 12

Post by lee269 »

For quite some time (months) G Force and JRMC v12 have not been getting on. GForce would start but would seemingly kill JRMC after some time (<1 minute), or if I clicked on anything in JRMC, eg transport controls. The exact same thing would also happen latterly with Softskies.

To be honest I ignored this and didnt use the plugins for quite a while because my PC was old and pretty underpowered, and although G Force had previously worked, I put it down to problems with tryng to play APE files and G Force on a 6 year old PC. But I just got brand new Windows Vista PC with plenty of power, downloaded and installed the latest versions of JRMC, G Force and Soft Skies, and am getting exactly the same symptoms.

Having the new hardware brings so many variables Im not sure where to begin looking for a solution to this. Can anyone offer suggestions?

jmlogan

Post by jmlogan »

Lee -

There is an apparent incompatibility between G-Force 3.6 and JRMC 12. For me, it manifests itself when I switch to/from "Display (full screen) View". When I do so in JRMC with G-Force active, JRMC crashes.

I have reported this on the JRMC forum and submitted a bug report to Soundspectrum, but have not heard anything about a resolution yet.

There does appear to be a workaround for G-Force. If you add the setting "nOGL=1" to your G-Force JRMC preferences file, G-Force doesn't use OpenGL and the crash doesn't happen.

Unfortunately, this same workaround does not solve the problem for SoftSkies.

Jim L.
20 Feb 2007

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

GF is not perfect, when a player is updated and a new release is issued sometimes the changes can be bad for GF.

If you look around the forums here you might notice that there are quite a few reports like yours, and most have been fixed. most of these problems are not due to power supply or memory or even a new operating system.

I know Andy tries very hard to make GF compatible for each player but its not easy keeping up with new builds that he has no control over.

IMHO you might want to try using GF with a player that it works in until its updated to include the new versions of JMC , not too tough I use winamp and GF works fine for me. I mean whats so special about JRMC that you must have it to use GF?

I wouldnt worry about your comp being the culprit and have some patients Andy is always working on improving GF so a new build that includes the latest JRMC may be on the way.

take care

lee269

Post by lee269 »

Jim, Juxtiphi - thanks for your replies.

Jim - your description of switching to full screen sounds suspiciously like my problem. I'll research the nOGL setting.

Juxtiphi - I appreciate your response and understand that Andy works hard developing GF to work with many different players. I have patience to spare for him and the JRMC guys in bringing us updates to their products. I never said I must use JRMC, but I have invested too much time in organising it and my library to my taste to switch players at the first sign of a problem, even temporarily. I mean, whats so special about GF that I must have it to listen to music? :)

Thanks all

lee269

Post by lee269 »

Just to confirm for the record that the nOGL setting as described by Jim solves my problem too for G Force but not Softskies, as he said. Thanks!

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

lee269 wrote:Jim, Juxtiphi - thanks for your replies.

Jim - your description of switching to full screen sounds suspiciously like my problem. I'll research the nOGL setting.

Juxtiphi - I appreciate your response and understand that Andy works hard developing GF to work with many different players. I have patience to spare for him and the JRMC guys in bringing us updates to their products. I never said I must use JRMC, but I have invested too much time in organising it and my library to my taste to switch players at the first sign of a problem, even temporarily. I mean, whats so special about GF that I must have it to listen to music? :)

Thanks all

your post suggested that you are an avid GF user and because it was'nt functioning properly your overall experience with GF was diminished.

If using GF isnt a prerequisite then my suggestion is still a good one keep your library the way it is and just use a simple player ( like winamp) for the times you want to veiw GF. I mean its not to tough to open a directory and select the files is it?

the bottom line is that if you want to use GF there is a way for you to do so without it malfuctioning. :)

Magic_Randy

Post by Magic_Randy »

juxtiphi wrote: IMHO you might want to try using GF with a player that it works in until its updated to include the new versions of JMC , not too tough I use winamp and GF works fine for me. I mean whats so special about JRMC that you must have it to use GF?
From practical point of view, the work around for me is not to use GF if there are incompatibilities with MC12.

I have G-Force & Softskies. I'm a MC12 user. I really like G-Force, but it is a nice to have. Not mandatory. For me, if there are problems it's easier to give up and wait for a fix than it is to switch to another media player. MC12 users are managing their libraries in MC12. It's a real pain to maintain another library for a different player just so you can use GF.

lee269

Post by lee269 »

juxtiphi wrote:your post suggested that you are an avid GF user and because it was'nt functioning properly your overall experience with GF was diminished.
Yes I am an avid user, and yes the experience was diminished when it wasnt working. Switching players could be a solution to a GF problem for some, but is an impractical one for me, just like Magic_Randy.

I'm new to this board and was keen to avoid getting into arguments about which player is best. It seems that that isnt a problem here. Thanks juxtiphi and all who have helped.

Wombat66

Post by Wombat66 »

I too am using JRMC 12 and switching to any other player would be a poor substitute.

I'm looking forward to the G-Force fix.

markofkane

Post by markofkane »

When it comes to media players, I always like free. 8)

gpvillamil

Post by gpvillamil »

I am also seeing this problem, with JRMC12, G-Force and Softskies.

It is particularly notable when changing the size of the display window - eg. going from Playing Now to Display view, or Display to Fullscreen. G-Force does not work at all in Theater View.

I don't get a hard crash - rather, the visualization window no longer updates.

This is a new issue- older versions of G-Force worked fine in MC12. The problem seems linked to the G-Force update, not a change in MC12.

Softskies has always been a bit hit-or-miss with MC12. If it is selected immediately upon starting MC12, there are problems (ie menu not erased, black screen). However, switching to another viz, and then back to Softskies, gets things working.

keycompton
Site Admin

Post by keycompton »

FYI, we are looking into this problem, but it sounds like there is a MC12 display conflict of some sort (related to OpenGL) and this may require a fix within MC12 rather than within G-Force (we don't crash any of the other media players). We had also run into OpenGL issues with Vista, but most of those problems have been addressed (many vista video drivers were not supporting OpenGL properly).

You may, however, want to try our recently posted G-Force 3.6.3 beta. If you are not already on our beta list, please join at the link below (once on our beta list, our beta downloads will then show within your G-Force download account whenever we have a beta available and you'll also receive an email when we post new betas):

SoundSpectrum Beta List (Add / Remove Link)
- http://www.soundspectrum.com/support/beta_list.html