Foobar 2000 0.9 is out. Plans to update G-Force?

Discussion forum for G-Force users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

minktoast

Foobar 2000 0.9 is out. Plans to update G-Force?

Post by minktoast »

Just thought I'd let you know that Foobar 2000 0.9 is out.

Any plans to update G-Force to work with the new version?

Thanks!

andy55
Site Admin

Re: Foobar 2000 0.9 is out. Plans to update G-Force?

Post by andy55 »

minktoast wrote:Just thought I'd let you know that Foobar 2000 0.9 is out.

Thanks!
The 0.9 vis API changes are signifiant, unfortunately. I say "unfortunately" onlyl because it will therefore require a chunk of time to deal with, and right now we're pretty strapped. Hopefully, I cna find some time to knock it out in the coming few weeks, but I can't make any promises.

andy

minktoast

Post by minktoast »

Thanks for the reply Andy. I know Foobar2000 user numbers are small - but we're a deddicated crowd! I'll watch this space in the hope that you find time for an update.

falconfox

Foobar2000

Post by falconfox »

I let my subsciption run out because of no foobar 0.9.1 support. i wish 0.9.1 was supported, becasue i would have liked to renue for the reduced price.

Rovastar

Post by Rovastar »

On a sightly side not I have never given much time to doing visuals on Foobar.

Peter P (who wrote Foobar) had no interest in visualizations and in fact disliked them and considered what we did a waste of time. Hence no vis API at all to begin with.

Nice one there too the devs changing the vis API. Maybe an idea to chat to the few vis devs first.

I honestly don't know how you do it Andy writing new versions everytime a player decides to upgrade and make the vis not work. You are a braver man than me.

andy55
Site Admin

Post by andy55 »

Rovastar wrote:On a sightly side not I have never given much time to doing visuals on Foobar.

Peter P (who wrote Foobar) had no interest in visualizations and in fact disliked them and considered what we did a waste of time. Hence no vis API at all to begin with.

Nice one there too the devs changing the vis API. Maybe an idea to chat to the few vis devs first.
All very good (and right-on) points, John...

I've offered an open invatation on the foobar forums that if someone is willing to make a foobar 0.9 vis skeleton project I'll be happy to go the rest of the distance. However, no one has yet contacted me ready to walk the walk:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/ind ... opic=43317

Andy

Rovastar

Post by Rovastar »

I hadn't seen that thread before Andy interesting reading.

They make the new vis only for Vis Studio 2005! I know the pain it was moving to VS 2003 and learning a new Programming Suite.

Let see what they say. I don't think the foobar fans understand the small userbase in the media player world they really have..

4nT1

Post by 4nT1 »

that maybe true in relation to foobar customers... but I am a paying platinum member who wants to use g-force with site advertised support for foobar.

It does not say only for version 0.8.3 or 0.9.x incompatible..

Rovastar

Post by Rovastar »

True the website should be more clear on the G-Force site and it is misleading. However it does work with foobar not the very latest version.

Remember foobar broke G-Force's compatibility not the other way around. A intentional bug, as it were.

The people at soundspectrum have tired to fix the problem but foobar creators broke it in there version maybe try asking them to put the old visual plugin system back.

Personally I think that the G-Force support should just be withdrawn for the foobar player. It causes more headaches then most.

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

Foobar users kill me !

they love it because its not a bloated program but then they want to add vis to it and complain when the makers of foobar try and keep the program slim.

just use winamp or any of theother players mentioned on the list they all work fine.

andy55
Site Admin

Re: Foobar 2000 0.9 is out. Plans to update G-Force?

Post by andy55 »

minktoast wrote:Just thought I'd let you know that Foobar 2000 0.9 is out.

Thanks!
Since no one has stepped up to work with us for foobar 0.9 support, we can't continue to say that we support it. Foobar support will therefore offically be ceasing come G-Force 3.5.6 (due in a couple weeks).

Andy

ApoXX

Post by ApoXX »

I just found a Foobar 0.9 compatible plugin that allows you to use any Winamp visualization plugin directly from Foobar:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/ind ... opic=59388

All you have to do is install the latest Winamp build (if you don't already have winamp) and then install the G-force Winamp plugin. Place the foo_vis_shpeck.dll file in your Foobar components directory and configure the path to Winamp under Preferences->Visualizations->Shpeck.

It works great for me, including display of track titles - hopefully this post helps someone get it working as well.

WickedSounz

Post by WickedSounz »

G-Force 3.5.6 (due in a couple weeks)
Drool.............please tell us more....... :D

minktoast

Post by minktoast »

ApoXX wrote:I just found a Foobar 0.9 compatible plugin that allows you to use any Winamp visualization plugin directly from Foobar:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/ind ... opic=59388

All you have to do is install the latest Winamp build (if you don't already have winamp) and then install the G-force Winamp plugin. Place the foo_vis_shpeck.dll file in your Foobar components directory and configure the path to Winamp under Preferences->Visualizations->Shpeck.

It works great for me, including display of track titles - hopefully this post helps someone get it working as well.
Nice one ApoXX - that works a treat! And you don't even need to install Winamp. It's a long time since I started the thread but a solution in the end!

aquinox

Post by aquinox »

Hi, I installed SHpeck and soundspectrum g force (the winamp version) but it doesn't appear in the shpeck plugin screen. I also tried putting the .dll files in the foobar folder but no luck.

What should I do?