Mojave Update, iTunes, and other Recent Issues

Discussion forum for G-Force users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

andy55
Site Admin

Mojave Update, iTunes, and other Recent Issues

Post by andy55 »

Apple released the new macOS update, Mojave. All SoundSpectrum screensavers on macOS are currently broken. We are currently researching options. There are no indications yet, but within a day or two I hope to have some progress.

If you feel strongly, like we do, that Apple should continue supporting screensavers and 3rd Party Plugins in their macOS / iTunes software, please let them know; otherwise key people at Apple may stop supporting our software altogether!

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello Andy

I am a little bit fussy about the fruit I eat, I certainly do not like apples'. Now if there was a link to contact the farmer I would contact them as you have suggested.
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

sharok

New Mac OS with Jriver

Post by sharok »

Hi Andy,

You mentioned screensavers and iTunes incompatibility.

Does the new Mac OS (Mojave) work with Aeon and G-Force through Jriver?

Not with itunes and not as a screensaver. Just while playing music using Jriver on Mac.

b.dwall
SoundSpectrum

Recent Issues ...

Post by b.dwall »

I wanted to provide some details to everyone on the current issues we are working through. Apple continues to remove support and/or change key frameworks that we rely on to work. We hope to have fixes out soon for the Screensaver bugs and other changes that Apple has introduced in Mojave, but we are still assessing things.

As we have mentioned here before, both Apple and MS have been getting very aggressive with recent updates, often breaking many peripheral applications and plugins (such as our visualizer plugins and screensavers) in the process. We have reported many of the issues, and in most cases, the iTunes plugins and the Standalone application are still usable.

1. iTunes Active Bug Reports Filed with Apple:
- Windows iTunes Full Screen Shortcuts and GUI icon not working
- Screen Goes Black when Switching Vis
- iTunes on Windows not saving settings
- SoundSpectrum Audio Cable notifications

2. The recent release of Mojave disabled functionality of most screensavers that are available, so Apple will likely have a fix out for that shortly (fingers crossed). Mojave may have also disabled the screensaver from listening to the monitor mic.

3. We have had reports of an iTunes .dll error during installation of SS visuals on Windows 10 computers. We have narrowed down the issue to the being a result of using the Windows Store to install iTunes. It seems that Windows/iTunes is now using an alternate directory (C:\Windowsapps\appleinc.itunes_ ...) to install applications, which changes the install location of a few critical items that our visualizer Plugin relies on. If you're getting a .dll error during your iTunes installation, try completely uninstalling iTunes, then reinstall by downloading the iTunes application directly from Apple. Do not install from the Windows App store and that should fix things for you.

4. We have had reports of instability with WhiteCap. We think we have isolated the issue, and will have an update ready soon.

We are making every effort to assess and fix all the recent bugs/issues; in the meantime, if you need further support, don't hesitate to reach out to us: https://soundspectrum.com/support/contact.html

Apple / iTunes Support:
Bug Report: https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/ (most likely to be seen)
U.S. iPod, Mac and iPad technical support: (800) APL–CARE (800–275–2273)
Tim Cook, CEO: tcook@apple.com (Tim may appreciate your respectful feedback regarding forced upgrades and lack of downgrade support).

We have a beta list that you can sign up for if you want early access once new updates are available.

Beta list: https://www.soundspectrum.com/support/beta_list.html
SoundSpectrum.com | PLAN.tools | ArtIsInFormation.org

martinbaker2727

Post by martinbaker2727 »

great

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello martinbaker2727

I fail to understand why you have included these links in your post, what was your intentions?. I have removed them as I consider them as not appropriate.
Regards BTT

DanPin

Advice

Post by DanPin »

BTT wrote:I fail to understand why you have included these links in your post, what was your intentions?. I have removed them as I consider them as not appropriate.
Um, BTT, when you do make moderations to posts like these it's best to include a note that reads "EDITED BY BTT - spam removed" (or something similar) at the end of the post, to inform the author that some of their content has been removed due to certain violations of the forum rules. Otherwise they can't really tell why their post was edited.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello DanPin

I did just that:- I have removed them as I consider them as not appropriate.
Regards BTT

akoinesjr

Please Help Re: Mojave Issue / Unable to Reach Support

Post by akoinesjr »

Edit: This was user error (see additional posts below for more detail if youre doing something similarly silly)

Hello,

I am a long time user of G-Force and have renewed my subscription several times over the years -- I most recently did so because my current version stopped working, which was a bit frustrating but I figured I'd go ahead and just renew without fussing about it since I love the program.

Anyway, now that I've downloaded the new version, I'm unable to open the .pkg file and am assuming that's because I'm on Mojave.

Your website states that Mac OS 10.6 + is supported and I didn't see any mention of a Mojave issue when I renewed - had I seen that I would have never renewed in the first place!

I've tried contacting you all via your support form about this about a week ago but I haven't received a response so I'm trying here.

What should I do?

Maybe you should just refund me for my recent purchase at this point?

And consider updating your FAQ to note the Mojave issue so that others don't end up purchasing unusable software?

Currently it states "Is G-Force compatible with my version of OS X?
In addition to being available for Windows, G-Force can be run on any Mac running Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or later. Note that some older Macs may lack the graphics hardware needed in order to run G-Force, but you can use the trial version of G-Force to ensure that it runs to your satisfaction."

.....which is inaccurate and led to my purchasing of unusable software :cry:

Thank you for reading and for your work.

Best,

Andrew
Last edited by akoinesjr on Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

Sorry to hear about your situation.

As far as I know, it should work with mojave as it was released in Sept 2018. Apple did, however, release a preview of a new os on Feb 6th 2019. I don't have a mac so I don't know how it works but if you updated to the preview it's possible that its why your prog stopped working

About not being contacted by Soundspectrum.

All I can say is, try and have patience, They will eventually get back to you and will definitely give your money back if that is your wish.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello akoinesjr

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I have contacted SoundSpectrum requesting help with your issue. If they do not contact you within 2 to 3 days please post again.
Regards BTT

b.dwall
SoundSpectrum

Post by b.dwall »

akoinesjr

Sorry that you are having issues. I sent you a message recently. Please let me know if you received it, and I look forward to helping figure out what's going wrong.

It's an older installer process with a few extra steps. Step 4 is not always obvious. The process should be as follows:

1. Download the .zip from us
2. Open .zip (reveals the .dmg installer)
3. Click on the G-Force.dmg (opens up installer in finder side bar)
4. Go to G-Force 5.8.2 in any Finder Sidebar and click on "G-Force.pkg"
5. Follow the installer prompts

akoinesjr

Post by akoinesjr »

Hey Brandon,

Just e-mailed you back -- the issue was that the dmg file wasn't opening the installer for me on Mojave 10.14.2.

FYI for anyone else who may run into this issue I was able to resolve via command line following instructions at

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questio ... tall-a-dmg

Thanks

UPDATE: The above workaround is unnecessary, I done goofed and didn't see the file mounted in the sidebar in the finder.

b.dwall
SoundSpectrum

Post by b.dwall »

Step 4. is a real trouble maker.

DanPin

Post by DanPin »

I do see from the posts that we sure are suspecting a compatibility issue with the visualizers themselves. You might think that G-Force and WhiteCap only have these issues, but they could also be affecting other SoundSpectrum products (e.g., SoftSkies, Aeon, etc.). Just clarifying.