White Cap Holiday Edition 2004 on Windows 10

Discussion forum for WhiteCap users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

Lotusisrael

White Cap Holiday Edition 2004 on Windows 10

Post by Lotusisrael »

Recently . I have managed to get WhiteCap Holiday Edition, from 2004, to work into Windows 10. Yes, I am aware there is WhiteCap for 2018 and also Winter Wonders, both descendent, more or less, from WhiteCap Holiday Edition 2004. I am nostalgic and I like the idea of making it work. Indeed, this WhiteCap edition it is not instalable in Vista and later Windows editions. I have installed it a while ago into a Windows XP virtual machine and saved the files. Copied them into the place in Windows 10 October 2018 Update, in the visualization files into Windows Media Player. Registered the main dll using regsvr . I have found this tip a while ago, it has since disapeared from them web, it seems. And, indeed, it works, and it works well. It has its own API dll, it does not require any old DirectX or .Net Framework if all legacy .Net Framework and DirectPlay (legacy DirectX) are enabled.
My question is this: is running this old SoundSpectrum software affect in any way the Windows 10 registry so that it ca affect proper work of later SoundSpectrum visualizations, like WhiteCap 2019 and Winter Wonder 2019?

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello Lotusisrael

This is a question only SoundSpectrum can help you with, click on the link below and Brandon will be able to advise you.

http://www.soundspectrum.com/support/contact.html
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

DanPin

Post by DanPin »

I have never heard of WhiteCap Holiday Edition. If it were to be obsolete software, and it required DirectX 10, it wouldn't work on any Windows version but XP, since its binaries are incompatible with newer releases of DirectX.

Or, if it were to be a hoax, it probably just never existed in reality.

Lotusisrael

Post by Lotusisrael »

DanPin wrote:I have never heard of WhiteCap Holiday Edition. If it were to be obsolete software, and it required DirectX 10, it wouldn't work on any Windows version but XP, since its binaries are incompatible with newer releases of DirectX.

Or, if it were to be a hoax, it probably just never existed in reality.
It existed in 2004 (perhaps 2003) and it was bundled into a Microsoft Holiday Package for Windows XP. It was available only as part of that package. I have had it back in the day, it is clearly real. It required DirectX 9, not DirectX 10. I kept the installer. When I have got Windows Vista, installed it. All the components works as on XP, except for WhiteCap Holiday Edition. Much later, I have found a tip about how to get it working on Vista. The Microsoft Holiday package needed to be installed on a Windows XP machine, then the program files of WhiteCap Holiday Edition copied and pasted into the same location into Windows Vista. After that, the main dll of the visualisation needed to be registered via Command Prompt with regsvr. . The tip has disappeared since from the web, as it seems, as the Microsoft Holiday pack for 2004 itself. But I kept it for myself. I had the files extracted from a XP virtual machine.
I have a Windows 10 October 2018 update installation. I have all legacy .Net Framework and the legacy DirectX (DirectPlay) from the OS enabled, but no DirectX redistributable or DirectX Webinstaller used. And WhiteCap Holiday Edition 2004 works into the latest Windows 10. It is the same WhiteCap, but with holiday shapes. It is the ancestor of Winder Wonders of today. It was an amaizing work for its time and I am still nostalgic about it. I know that it works because I have tested it. It has a main dll and an API dll, the second one I do not know what exactly it contains. My question was if this can mess up the Windows Registry and prevent present day SoundSpectrum visualizations from working properly. That was about it. And to let Andy and the rest that this old work is still good working.