Figuring out the UI. Newbie here.

Discussion forum for Aeon users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

JeffUK

Figuring out the UI. Newbie here.

Post by JeffUK »

Hello all!

New user here who knows nothing. After an hour or so of trial and error I THINK I understand the logic of it but I would be really grateful if someone could check if I have it right.

1.Themes are composed of two parts - Colormaps and Scenes. These are each grouped into Categories (collections of colormaps/scenes).
Colourmaps have 5 Categories, Scenes have 6.

2.I don't see the point of the "Suggested" Category. Suggested to what effect?

3.There is only ONE customisable Colormap Category and ONE Customisable Scene Category. You cannot create multiple customised Categories to create your various Custom Themes. If you edit this one Custom Category it will change to the new edited selection in all Custom Themes you have previously set up.

4.You cannot change the scene or colourmap selections in any of the other Categories - that's why they have have a Lock symbol.

5.A custom Theme is created by selecting combinations of Colormap Categories and Scene Categories using +, -, or blank.

6.You cannot create a custom Theme by somehow just selecting Scenes from the full list and Colormaps from the full list - you HAVE to use combinations of Categories.

I am aware that there is a set of very helpful tutorials if you want to get into scripting, and it does look like I will need to start doing this - it doesnt look so difficult- but first I want to make sure I have understood the basics. But if I want to create lots of Themes with individually chosen scenes and colormaps it looks like scripting will be necessary, right?

Advice will be gratefully recieved. Thank you.

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

Hello Jeffuk

Welcome to the forum.

I cannot say for sure but it seems you understand more about the UI than I do because I was never really able to get into it.

I'm old school when it comes to creating themes. That is, I liked the old G-force toolbar method of selecting the configs you want and creating a theme. Sadly that function has been removed from the toolbar and Aeon does not employ a toolbar the way G-force does..

Aeon and G-force are the best music visualizers out there and really do provide a great experience right out of the box.

Good Luck and enjoy.

JeffUK

Understanding the UI

Post by JeffUK »

Yes, I am very impressed with Aeon, and I have been impressing my friends with my wall-sized digital projection - but there is a serious need for some simple user instructions. The six video tutorials ( put together by a user whose name unfortunately is not given in English form, sounds like Kula Ora) based on Whitecap are essential if you want to take more control of the displays by doing a little scripting. I am looking forward to having a go.
Its a shame that the user interface for Aeon is so clunky and not at all user-friendly. No need for the pre-existing categories - you should be able to build your own multiple sets of Categories without having to script. Perhaps this requires a lot more programming.