"Classic" visualiser themes as an optional downloa

Discussion forum for G-Force users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

mashakos

"Classic" visualiser themes as an optional downloa

Post by mashakos »

I don't regret buying G-Force ver. 5.x but I have a distinct preference for the "classic" visuals of older versions. The current new themes are too busy, super sped up and have colour combinations I can't stand (purple+green+red+brown???)

Is it possible to get the old classic themes as a pack I can enable over the current "style"?

EDIT: Here is an example of what I am talking about when referring to the current themes in G-Force

EDITED BY BTT - REMOVED LINK

jerohm

Post by jerohm »

So I am a bit confused... Is that image link (which most likely will disappear in the near future :wink: ), something you DON'T like??? I believe that is 'grapefruit' written by Ted, long ago. I hope it isn't one of mine... but to each his own. I only run with BTT colormaps, so I have no comment. I feel hardware has finally evolved to run GF to its potential. I am somewhat surprised at your opinion. In any case, you always have to option of customizing your experience to your liking. I know there isn't much documentation, and I am NOT one for hand holding, but if you seriously put forth an effort, I will be happy to answer SPECIFIC issues you may run in to... but "this doesn't work" doesn't cut it... I want to know exactly what you are trying to do, and what you have tried so far.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello mashakos

There are some FlowFields, WaveShapes, and ColorMaps that are not to my liking. When G-Force is running press Shift and D until you see the word PARTIAL in the top left of your screen. You will then see the names of the configs being loaded. Simply make a list of the one's not to your liking then go to the G-Force Packages folder, and delete the ones not to your liking. You can also do this using the G-Force ToolBar.
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

mashakos

Post by mashakos »

BTT wrote:Hello mashakos

There are some FlowFields, WaveShapes, and ColorMaps that are not to my liking. When G-Force is running press Shift and D until you see the word PARTIAL in the top left of your screen. You will then see the names of the configs being loaded. Simply make a list of the one's not to your liking then go to the G-Force Packages folder, and delete the ones not to your liking. You can also do this using the G-Force ToolBar.
I spent two hours removing the colour maps, wave shapes and flow fields I didn't like but somehow it's still "off". Too much emphasis on sharp vector-like wave shapes / particles, fast effects showing up on slow classical music while slow wavy effects popping up on metal tracks...

Older versions of G-Force were much more "limited" i.e subdued and consistent. I'd prefer to have the old styles/effects with the improved G-Force engine over what I have ended up with now.

As a customer who wants this project to survive I seriously recommend the dev team reaching out to engineers / hobbyists who have more varied taste in music - the new themes really seem to focus on some specific genres I can't pinpoint (jazz? pink floyd? grateful dead?). Either way the audio algorithm misses the mark more times than not for rock/rap/metal/punk etc.

mashakos

Post by mashakos »

jerohm wrote: Is that image link (which most likely will disappear in the near future Wink ), something you DON'T like???
oh yeah that thing looks awful. I especially love the patriotic red white and blue in between the pink and purple with a third of the screen just a blank black (cringe!)

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

mashakos wrote:
jerohm wrote: Is that image link (which most likely will disappear in the near future Wink ), something you DON'T like???
oh yeah that thing looks awful. I especially love the patriotic red white and blue in between the pink and purple with a third of the screen just a blank black (cringe!)

This is a problem of to each their own.

I saw the image you posted and if you feel that the configs seen in that pic look awful then I would say that G-force is not for you.

mashakos

Post by mashakos »

juxtiphi wrote:I saw the image you posted and if you feel that the configs seen in that pic look awful then I would say that G-force is not for you.
G-Force used to have a very different look back in the 3.x / iTunes days. I want that style back. I don't think that is an impossible ask tbh, unless the company has lost its own source code.

It's not just an issue of aesthetics either, the effects don't seem to switch according to the vocals/instruments of any given track, they are almost a slideshow. That's what is bothering me the most, even the stock Alchemy visualiser on Media Player switches and responds to music more "accurately" (obviously Alchemy is super outdated and can't be compared to the G-force engine but in that one area it seems to be doing better).

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello mashakos

Have you tried changing the audio response control?
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

mashakos

Post by mashakos »

BTT wrote:Hello mashakos

Have you tried changing the audio response control?
I've done some extensive testing and have pin pointed the problem down to how G-Force appears as a plugin in Windows Media Player.

The stand-alone version is definitely what I was expecting from G-Force all along, it is strange that the output is so different in WMP.

Not to bore you with all the steps I took in testing but I have found that there is a distinct difference in how the visualiser looks when run in stand-alone using stereo mix as the source audio vs. within WMP. This difference is not performance related as I have specs that far exceed what is required for G-Force (a workstation core i7, Titan X, both watercooled and overclocked).

There is something not right with how the visualiser looks in WMP. If anyone is interested in helping with this issue I can record footage of both standalone and the WMP plugin to show this.

My suspicion that it is WMP related is also backed up by my testing the visualiser on Windows Media Center. I get the same level of quality in WMC as I do in the stand-alone version. This has to do with the overall look of transitions, colour maps and wave shapes - not performance.

I believe that the latest version I had available to me of the G-Force WMP plugin has a bug of some sort. Sadly my license ended in March 2017 so even if it was fixed I would have no way of knowing (can't download anymore).