Default Audio Input in the Standalone App, Mac & Windows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SoundSpectrum Forums Forum Index :: SoundSpectrum General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SS_Bran
SoundSpectrum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Default Audio Input in the Standalone App, Mac & Windows Reply with quote

For our Mac users,

The following "how-to" is intended for informational purposes only, to assist our Platinum license holders with accessing the "default audio mix" for availability as an audio input source in the Standalone application.

Background: It is frequently pointed out that the default audio mix (the sound playing through your speakers) isn't available as an audio input source in the Standalone application. The question we normally get is "why can't I visualize the default audio?"... YOU CAN, but it does require a little extra effort for the time being. SoundSpectrum's Standalone app will display/operate with any sound source made available by your computer, sound-card, or other audio interface (including line-in audio, CD audio, microphone input, usb interface, etc). The "missing" computer default audio mix is an unfortunate result of OS manufacturers deliberately disabling (or not providing) functionality in their drivers and software by default (largely for DRM purposes, so you can't go making infinitely reproducible recordings of the audio playing through your own computer). For Mac users, we have found a free and open source solution, with configuration instructions below. For Windows users, SoundSpectrum now bundles Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) with the purchase of a Platinum license!

----------------- Windows / VAC Driver -----------------

VAC for Windows : The VAC driver is an optional install and must be manually configured to properly route the default audio mix to the Standalone application and to your speakers. Please be patient when configuring the driver, as it is not necessarily the most straight forward process and this is further exacerbated by Windows treacherous driver signing process. Disabling driver signing may be necessary for the time being. If someone gets a chance to post on the full install process, we will gladly incorporate it into this post and the installer package.

Disable driver signing on Windows8:
https://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

----------------- Mac / SoundFlower / LineIn -----------------

Mac Instructions: In order for your default audio to be made available in the Standalone app, you will need two additional (currently) open source applications. Here's what you will need to do:

1. Download and install "LineIn" by Rouge Ameba
2. Download and install "SoundFlower" a github project
3. Open System Preferences -> Sound and select the Output tab -> select "SoundFlower" as your sound output
4. Open "Line-In" application (this app must be kept running during use) -> Select Input From "SoundFlower -> Select Output to: Built-in Output
5. Open SoundSpectrum's Standalone application -> right click on the screen or go to 'Settings' -> "Audio Input Source" and select SoundFlower.

You should now be able to hear your default audio through speakers while also sending the same audio to the Standalone application! Keep in mind that this is not an endorsement for these applications, and we can not provide any official support for them.

Please feel free to discuss and provide comments/feedback on your experiences with this work around.

Last edited by SS_Bran on Thu May 04, 2017 2:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
iflip92

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:14 pm    Post subject: Alternative to SoundFlower Reply with quote

Hi, my problem lays with Windows. I have found an alternative to SoundFlower which is called VB-Cable Virtual Audio Device and it is a Donationware type of software.

If you follow the guide you can make it do what both LineIn and SoundFlower do in your tutorial:

forums.blinkinlabs.com/index.php?p=/discussion/68/windows-soundflower-alternative-vb-audio-virtual-cable

Transcript:
Quote:
1. Download the VB-Audio Virtual Cable driver:
2. Unzip the download and run VBCABLE_Setup or VBCABLE_Setup_x64
2. Go into your Sound settings in Control Panel
3. In the Playback tab, right-click "CABLE Input" and select "Set as Default Device"
4. In the Recording tab, right-click "CABLE Output" and select "Set as Default Device"
5. Go into "CABLE Output" properties to check "Listen to this device" and select your usual output device in the drop-down menu (the device previously set as the default playback device on the Playback tab)

So essentially this configuration changes the path of your computer's sound output from

Windows -> Speakers

to

Windows -> CABLE Input -> CABLE Output -> Speakers
BTT
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello iflip92

Thanks for your informative post.

We normally only allow links to SoundSpectrum on the forum. I am sure most members could quite easily search for the programs you mention using Google or similar.

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.
sharok

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the SS virtual cable and it seems to be setup correctly. When I open G-Force stand alone, the input is set to SS virtual cable and the sound section of my laptop (Windows 7) which includes Recording, ... seems to be setup right. But still the sound does not get to the G-Force through "line-in".

How can I fix that?
BTT
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello sharok

Not able to help you my friend. Your best bet would be to contact Brandon at SoundSpectrum.

http://www.soundspectrum.com/support/contact.html

Hope you are keeping well.

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SoundSpectrum Forums Forum Index :: SoundSpectrum General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: