G-Force and Windows 10 upgrades

Discussion forum for G-Force users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

Helibaby

G-Force and Windows 10 upgrades

Post by Helibaby »

Hello,

I have three different Soundspectrum visualizers.
It's annoying to reinstall them after each Windows 10 upgrade.
Is that really necessary? Perhaps the installation routine can be adjusted.

Regards Helibaby

ozbeats

Post by ozbeats »

I agree, if it's at all possible to retain the licenses and installation state within each installed media player
- this would be awesome..... :)

However, when Windows 10 major updates like the November Update and Anniversary update are installed the SS products are no longer launch-able,
even the standalone visualizer component, until that SS visualizer product is reinstalled.
I think the standalone (not dependent on any media player) issue in these instances could definitely be overcome and resolved.

There a two more major updates scheduled for Windows 10 next year in 2017.

Cheers, from Alf

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello All

This is weird, why would a Windows update cause this to happen? I wonder if the SoundSpectrum files (in some location) are being deleted by the update. Has the same thing happened to other software?

Today (Saturday) I have sent an email to Frank asking for help.
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

ozbeats

Post by ozbeats »

Not to other software to my knowledge....

Other licensed software I have installed retained their licensing during the system migration of the Windows 10 Pro x64 bit Anniversary Update.

For example: Roxio NXT Pro 4, Cyberlink Power DVD Ultra and even Nvidia 3DTV licensing -

Any unused bits remained in the Windows Old folder
(until I did a 'free disk space' system file cleanup which can remove the Windows.old folder safely)
as this is the norm now with major windows upgrades.

Thanks again, Alf ;)

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello ozbeats

I had this problem some months ago although not with W10. I have been trying to remember what I did that caused this, now I remember, I backed up my 'C' drive using Acronis. When I needed to use the backup all SS licences were missing, actually I downloaded fresh copies of all four products, and did a fresh install. SS licence details are obviously stored where the sun don't shine.
Regards BTT

BrianJinPA

Post by BrianJinPA »

Hello.

I am participating in the Windows 10 Insider Program (where participants get advance, preview beta versions of Windows 10 to detect and report bugs in the changes to the W10 OS to Microsoft) and, each time a new beta version of W10 is released for preview under the Insider Program, it involves a clean reinstall of W10 on my "test" desktop and laptop - thereby, requiring me to do a reinstall of the four SS visualization programs I have installed on them. The SS programs are the only programs I need to reinstall each time - even when beta versions of W10 are released.

Sometimes over the time period since W10 was originally released last summer, the beta versions of W10 have been released under the Insider Program in such rapid succession (in one case, twice in one week) that, on two occasions over the past year, I have had to contact Frank and ask SS to reset my "installation authorization limit" for my SS programs because of the repeated re-installations of those programs in a short time period. My first request to Frank was around one year ago, so they have been aware of this issue since then. Thankfully, he made some changes to my account so that I haven't run into the issue of being restricted from installing the visualizations after each W10 preview update. But, I still need to do the four re-installations each time (for each computer). I have to agree - it is annoying to have to reinstall the four visualizations for each machine after each update. But, I have to say, though, that, by this point, it has become almost "routine" for me to do it after each update - another box to check off on my "post-update" checklist (another one being to reinstall all of the WMP skins which get wiped out after each update). Hopefully, SS will address this issue in future updates of the visualizers so I can delete it from the checklist! :) :D

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello BrianJinPA

Thanks for your post. This is not exclusively a W10 issue, it is as far as I know a problem with all versions of Windows.
Today (Saturday) I have sent an email to Frank asking for help
That was on August 27. No response as yet!!!
Regards BTT