Configuration Question

Discussion forum for WhiteCap users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

Zero

Configuration Question

Post by Zero »

Looking through the docs and something I have a question about if someone could explain the difference between:

Audio.FFT.NumBins

and

Audio.PCM.NumBins

I'm basically trying to modify the number of samples being displayed so the 'waves' can have better resolution.

I want to change this on a GLOBAL setting. What value is this and where is it found?

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello Zero

Pressing the + key should increase reactivity, and - to reduce reactivity.

If that doesn't work for you then contact:

http://www.soundspectrum.com/support/contact.html
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

Zero

Post by Zero »

Wow. That's the preamp scale and not at all what I'm talking about.

Can I have clear answers to my question, please?

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello Zero

Then click on the link I gave you, and Frank from SoundSpectrum will advise you.
Regards BTT

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello Zero

There is information here, hope it helps:

https://www.soundspectrum.com/whitecap/ ... izing.html
Regards BTT

Zero

Post by Zero »

I've read every document online I can find - including the one you provided.

I've also read the source files and the code is dreadfully convoluted. Honestly, the documentation seems deliberately obfuscated. I simply want a clear answer to my question.

My goal is to increase the number of samples in a wave and I want to know what defines that value and what config it can be found in.

My original question stands:

Could explain the difference between:

Audio.FFT.NumBins

and

Audio.PCM.NumBins

And where those values are defined on a GLOBAL scale?

As an example, I'm referencing PNum as defined in Preferences (Winamp).txt and it's defined as 0. This is defined in Consts.txt.

FNum appears to widen the wave scale but offsets the effect to one end of the spectrum.

Thank you.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello Zero

I doubt if anyone apart from the person who wrote the code for WhiteCap would be able to help you. Please contact Frank (SoundSpectrum sales and support) at the link I gave you. He may be able to make contact with the programmer.
Regards BTT

FrankN

Post by FrankN »

It doesn't appear that you ever wrote in to me. I would love to help you out with this. I promise that the documentation is by no means deliberatly obfuscating. If anything, it would make my life a lot easier if I could help our users help themselves.

It's just that PCM and FFT are advanced mathematical concepts, and "bins" are a simple concept once you understand them. There's even an attempt at explaining in layman's terms in the documentation. However, I'd be happy to help explain more to you.

An FFT is shifting your time domain to the frequency domain. It's sort of like counting how often a certain frequency appears at a certain amplitude. A PCM is like counting how often an amplitude occurs. A bin is the range of values that are sampled as one value.

Increasing the number of bins will enhance the resolution of your inputted audio data, but it won't increase the resolution of your displayed waves. The display resolution is synced to your native resolution (ie. what you set in the display settings of your OS or video card).

These settings are not defined globally. I can't tell you exactly why, but I would assume that it has to do with the native settings of various media players and how their data is output. Or, it could just be a holdover from the early days of SoundSpectrum, and we haven't seen a need to change it.

Finally, the + / - is not the pre-amp. Those are the audio response scale. The [ / ] keys define the pre-amp. They are two different things, but can be used to accomplish the same goal. I can see why you would get them confused.

If you have any questions, please feel free to open up a support request, and we can talk more there. But, I won't answer any more posts in this thread until you have. Thanks!

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello Frank

Did the original poster contact you reference the above?
Regards BTT

FrankN

Post by FrankN »

No, he hasn't gotten back to me yet. Hopefully, he found the answers he was looking for!