SoundSpectrum NEWS

Discussion forum for Aeon users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

jerohm

Post by jerohm »

(sleep == 0) indicates that the program is either just keeping up or, in the worst case, not having enough time to complete its operations given the desired frames per second. Win7 is NOT a realtime OS, and scheduling is somewhat out of the user's [full] control. It does provide for five or six priority levels, BUT these are only at the process level... Interrupt service processing ALWAYS takes priority and can pose adverse effects. Sleep is actually used in this case, to TRY to maintain the desired frame rate... kind of ASSUMING that all of the program's operations can ALWAYS be completed within a given time... not always reality however.

The best YOU can do, is make sure all OS SVC operations used in Aeon, function in the most optimal way....

WinAmp allows you to set its priority with the option preferences ... the player AND the visualization plugins.

If you are using WiFi instead of a hard cable, realize you are dealing with even more Interrupt Service Processing

Your disk operations are most likely always going to be a point of contention... even with an SSD, a ramdisk should be magnitudes faster. The above procedure moves certain folders to the ramdisk ASSUMING their access is critical to get good performance... DISCLAIMER: Anything short of moving the entire Aeon folder to the ramdisk is somewhat of a guessing game on MY part... which you could probably do... but more of the ramdisk would be utilized... If you install a ramdisk of ~1G in size, I will write the above procedure in to a batch file that should set things up... but I'll be honest, I am no good at hand holding... it ALWAYS gets me in trouble.

Even with the procedure I outlined above, I still get brief hesitations. I think things are better, but... you know.

sharok

Post by sharok »

Hi jerohm,
I'm not using WiFi (it is an HDMI wireless). But even without using HDMI, just by looking at the laptop display, I can see the pause while running Aeon. One thing I'm sure of, is that the wireless HDMI is not causing the pause.

jerohm

Post by jerohm »

I was actually talking about your internet connection... When looking at the procedure I wrote a few posts above, I can see that I am mixing UNIX and DOS commands (which I can DO on MY system... but NOT YOURS) . Besides that, Win7 can be a pain with permissions when trying to change system [C:\Program Files (x86)] folders. Find someone who is versed with DOS (system command window) and I would guess they could figure out my notes. They are LOGICALLY correct.

cwoolrich

Post by cwoolrich »

sharok wrote:Hi BTT,

I just uninstalled/reinstalled Aeon.

Still the same.

What's puzzling me is that I increased the frame rate in G-Force from 35 (default) to 53 and I get no pause during the transitions, but with Aeon I left everything at default and I still get a pause on some scenes.
After uninstalling have you gone in and deleted orphan file and folders from previous install?

sharok

Post by sharok »

Hi cwoolrich,

No, I did not. I just uninstalled and went to the SS website and downloaded again.

But I'll go and redo that again and clean everything is "soundspectrum/Aeon". I think that's the directory you're talking about.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello sharok

I would suggest you do a search for SoundSpectrum files. Only delete Aeon related files / folders.
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

sharok

Post by sharok »

Hi BTT,

I just did (uninstalled and re-installed) and looked for all the Aeon files or folders.

I could not find anything after "uninstall", it seems like the uninstall deletes everything.

After the installation, everything is still the same.

I just quit on this.