How Do I Install Extras?

Discussion forum for WhiteCap users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

minddrifter

How Do I Install Extras?

Post by minddrifter »

I go to the downloadable extras for whitecap, and they just DL as a .BMP. Am I doing something wrong? I do not own gold/platinum yet, I just DLed the trial version a couple days ago and am really liking it so far, but I would like to learn to use these extras before deciding whether or not I plan to purchase this product or not. Do I put these .BMPs into a certain folder under the whitecap directory? Or should they be .BMPs at all? What exactly do these extras do? The one I've been trying to get to work the most was the top one on the most downloaded(fire or flame something) and a couple others ive tried... Thanks for all the help!

minddrifter

Post by minddrifter »

btw, i use windows 7 64-bit with the latest media player (i use windows media player) and updates via windows updater. no problems with the whitecap itself, it works perfectly.

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

minddrifter wrote:btw, i use windows 7 64-bit with the latest media player (i use windows media player) and updates via windows updater. no problems with the whitecap itself, it works perfectly.
the extras are only screen shots to add to your collection, but some download as zip files, if they do they have a few jpgs inside that can be added to the folders found in the soundspectrum folder in program files , other extra types are coming soon.

minddrifter

Post by minddrifter »

so the extras are just still pictures? do they actually do anything within the program itself? i'm still kinda confused, im not trying to be a jerk...but if the "extras" are no more than still SS's of whitecap with no other application, that's the lamest thing I have ever heard/seen and would more than likely put me in the "not buying whitecap now" category. that would hardly be an extra....i can look at still pictures of anything all day....please tell me im just confused and if someone could be 100% specific and detailed (exactly where to put them and exactly how to use them, etc) on what these extras are, that would be great.

jerohm

Post by jerohm »

you probably need to consider the evolution of the various product lines. G-Force, for example, has 3 categories of 'extras' - Screen Shots, backgrounds, and actual user submitted configs/utilities that were not picked up and included in a future general release, for one reason or another. Lack of 'config' extras in WhiteCaps has more to due with a lack of user submissions ... you can hardly blame the company. If they went through the effort of new config development, they would most likely invest the time to MAKE SURE they were included in future releases. They are letting you preview A LOT FOR ABSOLUTELY NO COST... and you ALWAYS retain the ability to write your own configs should you be capable/so inclined.

The screen shots that I submit, are all in part, code that I have personally written ... which MAY or MAY NOT be available in some future release ... but showcases the capabilities of the platform.
make sense? :wink:

minddrifter

Post by minddrifter »

ummm...i guess it makes sense...not quite the issue i'm raising here...what im getting at, is that screen shots are not extras...they are screen shots...if i download extras for a program, that generally means extra things to improve or add to a program in some way shape or form... a screen shot is not an extra, it does not do anything to the program what so ever. that's what im getting at. im not bashing the program itself, or the cool things people can do using/coding into the program. i just wanted to make sure i'm not missing anything, that the "extras" are indeed nothing more than screen shots... that's all i wanted to know. i know people can do things within the program itself to do a lot of different and cool stuff. and i was in no way blaming the company for users not submitting things. maybe im being picky, but imo, screen shots are not very extra. they can be cool, and i even enjoy seeing what others do with the program...but the screen shots themselves do nothing extra...you just look at them. so basically i just feel somewhat mislead if they are just screen shots and not actual extras. i think most people would agree. and yes, i know, "technically" anything can be an extra...but seriously now, downloading screen shots into my screen shot folder doesn't do much of anything extra...

gorus

Post by gorus »

Yes, WhiteCap doesn't have any functional Extras besides screenshots right now. So all you can share right now is just screenshots with the information of what WaveShape, ColorScheme, and Background are in the screenshot, so that you can reproduce the effect if you'd like, by picking that combination. We are working on other more pressing features right now, but may create new Extras types for WhiteCap in the future. The idea was to build the infrastructure such that things could be shared down the road.

SoftSkies is the best example of functional Extras: Formations are little images that clouds take shape of--use them to create any cloud shape you can imagine. Skies are the actual configs that make up the clouds--download them and produce the exact clouds that are in the image.

radlinsky

Post by radlinsky »

Bump!

So a year has gone by and there are still no real extras? That's really unfortunate. Does anyone know a good tutorial for how to make your own visualizations with Whitecap? OR has anyone made their own private ones available for the public?

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello radlinsky

Let's get one thing straight, I don't know anything about WhiteCap but, if you were to download G-Force, now that's a whole different ball game.

There are many EXTRA configs (WaveShapes, ColorMaps and, Flowfields) you can download for FREE from the SoundSpectrum website. You can then put them in the corresponding folders, run G-Force and, if you do not like any or all you simply delete them from the folders.

As far as I know there is not a similar option with WhiteCap.

Regards BTT

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

AND........ "SUNDAY FOREVER"..........you have done it again. Yep, your a SPAMMER.

gorus wrote:Yes, WhiteCap doesn't have any functional Extras besides screenshots right now. So all you can share right now is just screenshots with the information of what WaveShape, ColorScheme, and Background are in the screenshot, so that you can reproduce the effect if you'd like, by picking that combination. We are working on other more pressing features right now, but may create new Extras types for WhiteCap in the future. The idea was to build the infrastructure such that things could be shared down the road.