What am I paying for?

Discussion forum for WhiteCap users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

iflip92

What am I paying for?

Post by iflip92 »

Fix the damn Whitecap. I just wasted more than 30 mins of my life applying custom Waves, Backgrounds and Colors in the iTunes visualizer and setting it all up, only for it to then reset back to default next time I opened it and it didn't save my Custom Theme! What am I paying the licence for? You haven't updated Whitecap since late 2018? I don't even like your other products apart from Whitecap.

This is using version 6.8.2.

PS: Recent HDD failure had me losing all the previous versions. I preferred 6.8.1 as it had less problems. Can you make that available again please at least?

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello iflip92

Have sent a request to SoundSpectrum asking for their response.
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

b.dwall
SoundSpectrum

Post by b.dwall »

Hi iflip92,

Both APPL and MSFT have been getting very aggressive with their updates, often breaking many peripheral applications and plugins (such as our visualizers and screensavers) in the process. While the issue you are reporting is not a widespread issue that we've seen, Windows is known for easily corrupted files/registry/permissions.

Sometimes a reinstall of the application can help, but I've also seen issues like this require fixes from the OS manufacturer, or even reinstallation of the OS (which obviously is not optimal). You can also try installing on another computer or another user profile to verify if the issue is isolated. Please write in to us using the support contact form on our website, and I'll help further if needed.

We also have new versions coming next week, so stay tuned.
SoundSpectrum.com | PLAN.tools | ArtIsInFormation.org

iflip92

Re: What am I paying for?

Post by iflip92 »

iflip92 wrote:Fix the damn Whitecap. I just wasted more than 30 mins of my life applying custom Waves, Backgrounds and Colors in the iTunes visualizer and setting it all up, only for it to then reset back to default next time I opened it and it didn't save my Custom Theme! What am I paying the licence for? You haven't updated Whitecap since late 2018? I don't even like your other products apart from Whitecap.

PS: Recent HDD failure had me losing all the previous versions. I preferred 6.8.1 as it had less problems. Can you make that available again please at least?
Tried the new update 6.8.3. Still the same bug. I can set all my preferences in Whitecap Standalone and they are saved, but in iTunes they are never saved.

Maybe this is due to write-protection to where you are trying to save the cfg settings ie. the iTunes folder?

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

b.dwall wrote:Hi iflip92, Please write in to us using the support contact form on our website, and I'll help further if needed.
Regards BTT

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

iflip92 wrote:
iflip92 wrote:Fix the damn Whitecap. I just wasted more than 30 mins of my life applying custom Waves, Backgrounds and Colors in the iTunes visualizer and setting it all up, only for it to then reset back to default next time I opened it and it didn't save my Custom Theme! What am I paying the licence for? You haven't updated Whitecap since late 2018? I don't even like your other products apart from Whitecap.

Tried the new update 6.8.3. Still the same bug. I can set all my preferences in Whitecap Standalone and they are saved, but in iTunes they are never saved.

Maybe this is due to write-protection to where you are trying to save the cfg settings ie. the iTunes folder?
I don't know what system you are running but there is a program for windows called Take Ownership that allows you to change permissions of files and folders so that you can access them without the operating system getting in the way. It's very easy to use. I don't think this program exists for mac but there are pages explaining how to change permissions in mac. Maybe it will release the folder so you can save prefs

iflip92

Post by iflip92 »

I am aware of that program and do use it. But as you can see from the thread, my question was never answered as to where the iTunes .cfg settings file is stored so I don't know what to take ownership of.
Personally, I stopped bothering with using WhiteCap and gave up on trying to access support for it as it seems quite abandoned. They should stop bothering trying to integrate it into iTunes and instead make the Standalone able to use/select DACs as input sources and then it's perfect.

iflip92

Post by iflip92 »

iflip92 wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:23 am
They should stop bothering trying to integrate it into iTunes and instead make the Standalone able to use/select DACs as input sources and then it's perfect.
Bump. New year. No update.
Any word on this? If I could select my DAC as a sound device in the Standalone it would be perfect and iTunes integration would no longer be required. (For reference, I have a Chord Hugo 2 as DAC and used to have a Chord Mojo. Neither were/are detected by WhiteCap).

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello iflip92

It is my understanding that the folks at SoundSpectrum appear to be concentrating all their efforts on their new project called PLAN, as a result all the visualisations such as G-Force, WhiteCap etc seem to have been abandoned. I believe that with the exception of SoftSkies there were possibilities of new content, new features and other improvements to the other visuals. Changing to Python which few people understand has made it extremely difficult for users to create new configs, and without new configs etc the visuals become stale even boring. very sad situation.
Regards BTT

iflip92

Post by iflip92 »

Well that sucks.

That PLAN thing looks like it's going to flop with those 70s visuals. The idea is alright I suppose. But you're better off making a (easily) configurable visualiser framework that you can sell.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello iflip92

Many other users including myself totally agree with your comments.
Regards BTT

iflip92

Making my own support

Post by iflip92 »

Thank you for replying on this pretty much inactive forum. Can you please tell me, or direct me to whom I can message, regarding where the WhiteCap saves my custom Themes? I brought this up before but I can't save my Theme when I configure it in iTunes. So I'm stuck with the preset Themes.

Edit:
So I found the location manually:
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SoundSpectrum\WhiteCap
This is where the iTunes specific preferences are saved. For some reason editing the iTunes preference file seems to persist just fine, but changing the iTunes settings from inside the visualiser doesn't save at all. So I made all my iTunes startup modifications there like Graphics set to Best, Startup theme "Custom 1" etc.

Additionally, if I try to make a new Theme in the iTunes visualiser from the Settings page it doesn't work, doesn't save. But it works if I make a Custom theme in the Standalone. Creates a new txt file in the location I mentioned above. I can make the settings persist if I make them in the Standalone version. And then I can modify the iTunes preference file to load them in when I start the visualiser in iTunes.

So now all I need to do is backup this folder and overwrite it whenever I reinstall WhiteCap and I should be ready to go.

PS: Using WhiteCap 6.8.3 (8306 x64) on Windows 10 20H2.

PS2: I have to stress again that every single problem could be solved by just having the Standalone do all the work and forgetting about visualiser plugin integrations. All that is required is to retrieve and support ALL audio interfaces in Windows. I have an external DAC via USB and WhiteCap doesn't detect it for some reason even though I have it in Windows in Sound. Devs get on this and make a final WhiteCap version.

juxtiphi

Re: Making my own support

Post by juxtiphi »

iflip92 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:52 am
Thank you for replying on this pretty much inactive forum. Can you please tell me, or direct me to whom I can message, regarding where the WhiteCap saves my custom Themes? I brought this up before but I can't save my Theme when I configure it in iTunes. So I'm stuck with the preset Themes.

Edit:
So I found the location manually:
C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SoundSpectrum\WhiteCap
This is where the iTunes specific preferences are saved. For some reason editing the iTunes preference file seems to persist just fine, but changing the iTunes settings from inside the visualiser doesn't save at all. So I made all my iTunes startup modifications there like Graphics set to Best, Startup theme "Custom 1" etc.

Additionally, if I try to make a new Theme in the iTunes visualiser from the Settings page it doesn't work, doesn't save. But it works if I make a Custom theme in the Standalone. Creates a new txt file in the location I mentioned above. I can make the settings persist if I make them in the Standalone version. And then I can modify the iTunes preference file to load them in when I start the visualiser in iTunes.

So now all I need to do is backup this folder and overwrite it whenever I reinstall WhiteCap and I should be ready to go.

PS: Using WhiteCap 6.8.3 (8306 x64) on Windows 10 20H2.

PS2: I have to stress again that every single problem could be solved by just having the Standalone do all the work and forgetting about visualiser plugin integrations. All that is required is to retrieve and support ALL audio interfaces in Windows. I have an external DAC via USB and WhiteCap doesn't detect it for some reason even though I have it in Windows in Sound. Devs get on this and make a final WhiteCap version.
Hello iflip92

I hate to say this but I think It's pretty much over for these programs. I am not part of the company so I can only talk about what I haven't seen and that's substantial updates for G-Force, White Cap, And Aeon. I think it's pretty much over but I could be wrong who knows??

ozbeats

Post by ozbeats »

At this point I will NOT be renewing my 3 licenses,
Last December (2020) I renewed all 3 licenses for Aeon, G-Force and Whitecap and have received NO new updates since...

To continue to allow renewals for SS license holders primarily for download access, (most of us have multiple storage options IMO)
but also to tout the benefit of New updates, fixes, configs, etc, without any updates materializing...
Morals, Honesty and Sincerity are important, they didn't disappear because of the Pandemic. :wink:

Are Soundspectrum comfortable selling almost Legacy products that are unsupported, are not updated and any
news, communication with users, forum members and volunteers, as well as paying license holders is non-existent. :?

Alf in Adelaide, Australia

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello ozbeats

Don't quite know what to say. SoundSpectrum have abandoned all of their visuals, there will be no updates or future versions - it's all over.

They should not in my opinion be taking money from anyone for programs so outdated and unsupported. VERY SAD.
Regards BTT