Start G-Force in Full Screen

Discussion forum for G-Force users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

b.dwall
SoundSpectrum

Start G-Force in Full Screen

Post by b.dwall »

Have you ever wanted G-Force to automatically start in full screen mode? Here's how you do that in a simple three step process.

First, familiarize yourself with the following directory:

Mac: Computer HD/Users/(you)/*Library/Application Support/SoundSpectrum/G-Force/Resources/Common (*library is hidden by default, click on Finder > Go [in the top toolbar] > and press the 'Option' to unhide the Library folder)

Windows: C:/Program Files/SoundSpectrum

1) Using a text editor, open /G-Force/Resources/Common/Startup.py
2) after import SoundSpectrum, add the following text:
@_time( '0:01' )
def action():
vis.SetFullscreen( True )
3) Save changes

Please note, when using the text editor to add commands, make sure the horizontal spacing is consistent with other indents in the file, otherwise it will not work. This same process works for all visualizers.

Tip proided by the one and only, AOM!
SoundSpectrum.com | PLAN.tools | ArtIsInFormation.org

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello Brandon

Thanks for sharing that very useful tip, however what most users have been waiting for (many months) is the promised video of how to save a custom theme. It's also sad that SS are never going to re-introduce the old style GF toolbar. It's important to listen to your customers.
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

b.dwall
SoundSpectrum

Post by b.dwall »

I just recorded a screen capture demonstration with AOM on setting up custom themes. Once I get the video together, I'll post it.

juxtiphi

Post by juxtiphi »

I would just like to say that If you need a video to help people use your program then it probably isn't as user friendly as you would like to think.

I've been part of this forum since 2005 and I love G-force and I used to watch it quite frequently. I used to make posts talking about how G-force seemed to know the music and how it would use just the right configs to create some of the coolest images set to music I have ever seen. I used to use the word intuitive to describe it but that was lost when the new GUI was implemented. G-force is still the best visualizer out there and the GUI is pretty but along with the loss of the old save function it's become more of a chore to use than a set it and forget it love fest.

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello All
juxtiphi wrote:I would just like to say that If you need a video to help people use your program then it probably isn't as user friendly as you would like to think.

I used to use the word intuitive to describe it but that was lost when the new GUI was implemented. G-force is still the best visualizer out there and the GUI is pretty but along with the loss of the old save function it's become more of a chore to use than a set it and forget it love fest.
This is exactly the comments I receive by email from multiple G-Force users. They do NOT want the GUI they want the old style GF toolbar and if that cannot be reinstated because of python then don't use python. Another complaint is why I should renew my subscription just for the odd fix. They expect new content and plenty of it. Just letting you know what your customers tell me.
Regards BTT

b.dwall
SoundSpectrum

Post by b.dwall »

I think once you see the video I am making, you will agree that the GUI theme creation method is quite flexible, and not difficult.

As I understand it, the fundamental aspects of how G-Force chooses configs and implements transitions has not really changed. We realize you miss the old save theme feature, but it's not as easy to "go back" as you might think. While it is my experience that the vast majority of people using SS visuals are not trying to make themes, I am willing to put some time in to providing instruction for those that are interested in doing so, if that's still wanted.

Andy has worked hard to ensure that G-Force, Aeon, et al continue to work across multiple platforms, despite major OS changes over the past few years with little regard to legacy compatibility. He has also continued to improve and add configs, and features when possible. If it becomes feasible, we will work to improve the ability to create custom themes.

b.dwall
SoundSpectrum

Custom Theme Creation

Post by b.dwall »

The Theme creation videos are ready. I will make a new post for them, but wanted to follow up here as well.

Creating Custom Themes Part 1: https://youtu.be/wotub9vV_OE
In this demonstration, we'll cover G-Force configs (e.g. waveshapes, colormaps, flowfields, particles), and how to create custom themes in G-Force.

Creating Custom Themes Part 2: https://youtu.be/7KHPRZHM69A
In this demonstration, we'll cover renaming configs and custom themes.

These videos also apply to Aeon, and White Cap.

Baltes

Post by Baltes »

Is there any difference performance-wise in how the program runs in fullscreen mode as opposed to windowed mode btw?

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello Baltes

That is an easy question, the answer is no.
Regards BTT

nealsal

Re: Start G-Force in Full Screen

Post by nealsal »

b.dwall wrote:Have you ever wanted G-Force to automatically start in full screen mode? Here's how you do that in a simple three step process.

First, familiarize yourself with the following directory:

Mac: Computer HD/Users/(you)/*Library/Application Support/SoundSpectrum/G-Force/Resources/Common (*library is hidden by default, click on Finder > Go [in the top toolbar] > and press the 'Option' to unhide the Library folder)

Windows: C:/Program Files/SoundSpectrum

1) Using a text editor, open /G-Force/Resources/Common/Startup.py
2) after import SoundSpectrum, add the following text:
@_time( '0:01' )
def action():
vis.SetFullscreen( True )
3) Save changes

Please note, when using the text editor to add commands, make sure the horizontal spacing is consistent with other indents in the file, otherwise it will not work. This same process works for all visualizers.

Tip proided by the one and only, AOM!

hi- A note to folks trying this. When I copied the script and added it, it failed. There needs to be a tab on the vis.SetFullscreen line, which did not copy via ctrl-C Added it, works great!