The quest to stop "freezing"

Discussion forum for G-Force users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

grahamk

The quest to stop "freezing"

Post by grahamk »

Hi,
Since first finding this g-force program, which I think is a brilliant piece of software engineering I have been fighting the occasional screen freeze. I upgraded my CPU, put in a faster hard drive. Still I get occasional screen freezes. They only last a second or so, but they're distracting.

Are there parameters within gforce that I should try tweaking to stop this from happening? I have noticed that loading sprites definitely causes the screen to freeze, and I get a screen freeze in between tracks (Media center 10).

Buying a new computer isn't totally out of the question if that is the answer - I spend hours watching music nowadays thanks to this great program (BTW - it is GREAT on airplanes!!!) . :-)

Thanks for any advice...

Graham

JayPro

Post by JayPro »

Welcome aboard!

I would suggest that it depends not only on the stability of the media player you use (*especially* iTunes), but also things like:

* the complexity of the effect to be loaded...
* the number of photo sprites in your folder...
* whether or not you have any background processes open (having Classic mode enabled in OS X is a major culprit)...
* tricky issues within the Boot file or Prefs file, i.e. user-customized parameters for transitions that the G-Force engine might not be able to swing...

Unfortunately, you could run thru a potential checklist till your eyes bleed; but unfortunately, the occasional freeze will almost inevitably happen.

There is, however, great cause to cheer up, for when the new G-Force engine processor is introduced, along with Open GL and other types of graphical optimizations, the fluidity of the program, not to mention its overall versatility and flexibility, should increase manifold.
"God is syntax."

andy55
Site Admin

Re: The quest to stop "freezing"

Post by andy55 »

grahamk wrote:Hi,
Since first finding this g-force program, which I think is a brilliant piece of software engineering I have been fighting the occasional screen freeze. I upgraded my CPU, put in a faster hard drive. Still I get occasional screen freezes. They only last a second or so, but they're distracting.

Are there parameters within gforce that I should try tweaking to stop this from happening? I have noticed that loading sprites definitely causes the screen to freeze, and I get a screen freeze in between tracks (Media center 10).

Buying a new computer isn't totally out of the question if that is the answer - I spend hours watching music nowadays thanks to this great program (BTW - it is GREAT on airplanes!!!) . :-)

Thanks for any advice...

Graham
hi there...

the best way to isolate the problem is to turn off all all the slideshows and see if it persists. if so, flip to/from different colormaps (some colormaps are more CPU intense than others). If it's still there, make the frame size smaller (make the window smaller or decrease the fullscreen res). also, make sure your PC video drivers are up to date.

andy

bongo

Related screen freeze question

Post by bongo »

I turned off all slideshows, to allow me to manually changed WaveShape, ColorMap, and FlowField individually. WaveShape and ColorMap changes were instantaneous, with no noticeable freeze. FlowField changes consistantly cause ~1 second of freeze.

Any suggestions for how this can be minimized? Are there parameters that can be set to somehow pre-load a FlowField, or somehow smooth the transition.

Interesting, when I set FlowField slideshow 'on' I did not observe and freeze as one FlowField changed to the next...

JayPro

Post by JayPro »

Chances are good that FlowFields are most likely to do that because they're most likely the most CPU-intensive effect type. It just seems that as long as you have the thing on autopilot (i.e. transitions on) you won't notice any major pauses. Don't forget that the processor doesn't necessarily compute the time/crispiness of the next transition as soon as it's ready to happen. As I understand it, it can take as much as 20 seconds for GF to precalculate oncoming effects.

I've seen this happen, too, BTW. ColorMaps and WaveShapes in that order take the least toll.
"God is syntax."

bongo

Post by bongo »

Yeah, I am guessing that when in slideshow mode there's some preprocessing that goes on in anticipation of the FlowField change. What I'm wondering is if there is some way when making manual changes to FlowField that I can set parameter(s) to do this preprocessing. I realize this will create a lag before the new FlowField appears, but so long as the transition took place smoothly, i.e., without a freeze, that for me that would be preferable to having the change happen immediately beginning with a freeze.

JayPro

Post by JayPro »

Alas, I don't think there are any.
"God is syntax."

andy55
Site Admin

Some terminology....

Post by andy55 »

bongo wrote:Yeah, I am guessing that when in slideshow mode there's some preprocessing that goes on in anticipation of the FlowField change. What I'm wondering is if there is some way when making manual changes to FlowField that I can set parameter(s) to do this preprocessing. I realize this will create a lag before the new FlowField appears, but so long as the transition took place smoothly, i.e., without a freeze, that for me that would be preferable to having the change happen immediately beginning with a freeze.

For everyone's info, allow me to interject some terms and definitions to improve communications...

Preprocessing - taking in a raw config file or script file and (a) removing comments, (b) performing macros (ie, using #defines), and (c) performing escape codes (ex, a blackslash at the end of a line joins it with the next. Since preprocessing is just on a small text file, it's very quick--essentially negligible.

compiling - turning source code, expressions (ie, the mathematical expressions found in configs), and the like into machine code, meaning chains of byte-codes that tell a CPU (or virtual machine) to do specific, step by step tasks. In other words, hardware only knows how to execute chains of byte codes; source code has no meaning to a CPU.

Altivec, MMX, SSE -- modern CPU features that allow faster mass computation. Unless software is architected from the ground up intending to use these features, they are difficult to harness. G-Force and WhiteCap presently have no CPU acceleration (but this will change w/ the introduction of VectorC -- see below).

computing a FlowField - for each pixel on the GF frame, evaluating the equations given in a FlowField config. there's a lot of pixels, so this is an intensive operation. it's normally chopped up into small pieces over 10-30 seconds so that the slowdown is not very noticeable.

The "current" virtual machine / expression evaluator - this is what GF and WC currently use to evaluate expressions. It's effective, but high overhead (for things like computing a FlowField). No hardware acceleration is possible. VectorC is scheduled to replace it w/in 6 months.

VectorC - a subset of C created by yours truly indented to be compiled by a special SoundSpectrum compiler that will result in a complete removal in the overhead associated with the current virtual machine in G-Force and WhiteCap. It will also be able to use CPU hardware features for higer performance. VectorC programs have other features/benefits that I do not wish to reveal at this time.

LightCycle - the codename for soundspectrum's encapsulation of 3D hardware (ATI, GeForce, etc) to significantly improve the performance and visual quality of GF, WC, and "project x".

Andy

JayPro

Post by JayPro »

I'm thinking of using that as a template to guide me in my attempts to understand what the blue heck I'm talking about sometimes...

Thanks.
"God is syntax."