Off topic: forum member count

Discussion forum for G-Force users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

brightblack

Off topic: forum member count

Post by brightblack »

Just a missive here; I noticed looking at the forum member list that out of 2582 members, 1826 have never posted. Some look like bot accounts, but I'm sure many are not. I was just surprised that people would take the time to register, and not post. I know any forum has a lot of 'one posters', people looking for help on a one off, but it seems strange to see so many zero posters.

Anyway. do not adjust your monitor, a more interesting topic will be along any minute.
GForce 3.6.2 on a
Core Duo Intel 2GHz MacBook // Core Duo Intel MacMini 1.83GHz

Athlon64 3700+ Windows XP / NV 6800GS

not on:
Athlon XP2500+ Zenwalk Linux 4.2 / NV GF2 MX400

JayPro

Post by JayPro »

I'll lay a bet that most of 'em are bot droppings; and the reason most of 'em read zero is prolly coz I zapped their first ones.

Ya gotta hand it to them, tho. They're persistent little sumb...'s
"God is syntax."

izblah

Post by izblah »

Because of phpBB's popularity, these boards get hammered by bots on a daily basis... Unless you put in some mods, you're pretty much guaranteed to have two to three bots register per day... I f*&%in' hate all forms of spam...

markofkane

Post by markofkane »

If I was told and had the power to ban bots, I would. But I don't think I have that power. So I delete spam posts when I can. :D

JayPro

Post by JayPro »

Wih apologies to Mark, I should change I to We in my previous post in terms of who does the troll-zapping around here.
"God is syntax."

brightblack

Bots

Post by brightblack »

I got the feeeling phpBB attracted bots; a phpBB based forum we ran a couple of years ago was tiny but still attracted plenty, so we moved it over to punBB when we restarted this year, and it pretty much stopped the bots.

Thanks to the mods who are nuking spam-posts. I hadn't thought that that would account for all those zero posts. Keep up that never ending battle.
GForce 3.6.2 on a
Core Duo Intel 2GHz MacBook // Core Duo Intel MacMini 1.83GHz

Athlon64 3700+ Windows XP / NV 6800GS

not on:
Athlon XP2500+ Zenwalk Linux 4.2 / NV GF2 MX400

markofkane

Post by markofkane »

JayPro wrote:Wih apologies to Mark, I should change I to We in my previous post in terms of who does the troll-zapping around here.
No problem. I cannot be on all of the time, so it's nice to have fellow mods to pick up the slack. :D :D :D :D

izblah

Post by izblah »

By mods, I meant modifications, not moderators... :D

But, anywayz - if the mods wanna' read up on mods :? and phpBB spam/bots: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=427852

but, you'd have to be a board admin to do anything effective with limiting these bot registrations...