G-Force 2.6.1 gold: how do I set track text start interval?

Discussion forum for G-Force users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

G-Force 2.6.1 gold: how do I set track text start interval?

Post by Guest »

This option has seemingly disappeared from BOOT.TXT.

In previous versions of BOOT.TXT there was an item which specified how often track text was to be displayed. I had changed mine to display every 3 minutes:

// This shows the track text at the start of a new song or every 600 secs
SetTrackTextStart( "sqwv( ( t - LAST_SONG_START ) % 180 )" );

This variable seems to have disappeared in 2.6.1.

Is there a new variable or functional equivalent?

andy55
Site Admin

Re:

Post by andy55 »

Yes, it indeed disappeared. In it's place is what's called event binding. BindEvent() binds a snippet of code to be executed when a certex event occurs (ex, a certain keystroke, the start of a song, etc--right now the event list is preety short: keystrokes, track events, and menu events).

Until the new engine arrives, this is how it will be. When the new engine arrives, there'll be a *lot* more power and flexivilty in it such that in adidtion to event binding will be threads. For example, to make the track text appear every 10 minutes once a track started, you'd make a snippet that will have a new command, Wait(), what will suspend the thread for a given amount of time (where the snippet would then loop back to the start:

while ( 1 ) {
// Do track drawing here
// ...
Wait( 10 * 60 );
}

(or something of the like). But, not until the new engine arrives, I'm sorry to say!

Of course, it's important for me to support G-Force and WhiteCap, but realize that every month I spend on minor bells and whistles for G-Force is a month that the new engine slides to the right.

andy