Standalone G-Force on standalone hardware?

Discussion forum for G-Force users

Moderators: BTT, andy55, b.dwall, juxtiphi

warpywarp

Standalone G-Force on standalone hardware?

Post by warpywarp »

Hello everyone, I've got a specific application in mind that I'm looking for ideas on how to accomplish. Long story short, I want to create a dedicated, always-on device that will run G-Force and respond to room audio via a microphone, and output via HDMI to my TV.

My first thought was to install Tunr on an old iPhone SE, and then plug it into the TV with a lightning-hdmi adapter. For some reason I've yet to figure out, however, the phone's microphone input seems to stop working when the adapter is connected. With the iOS ProjectM app, this is not the case; the microphone does work while the adapter is connected, so I can only assume this is a Tunr-specific shortcoming of some kind. I don't want to use ProjectM though, I want to use G-Force! But besides, even if the microphone did work with Tunr, the output resolution with the adapter was only SD, which I hadn't expected. I assume in order to improve the resolution I'd have to run it off of an iPad instead, but since Tunr isn't working with the mic properly anyway, moving on...

What I've done now is install G-Force standalone on an old 2011 Mac mini i5... and it works! Since the mini doesn't have an internal mic, I've simply plugged in a set of cheap ear buds with an in-line mic and hid it next to the tv on a bookshelf, near my left speaker. G-Force is running in fullscreen mode, and it runs smoothly at 1080p 60fps. Only problem is that it gets hot and the fan kicks on like a jet engine! Played with various settings, and now have it running at 720p 30fps. The mini stays silent, but still gets pretty dang hot to the touch.

So my question:

If you were going to build something new for this purpose, how would you build it so that it can support 60fps at either 720p or 1080p and run cooler than what I have now? What kind of minimum hardware is needed to achieve that performance? Do you think a more recent Mac mini could do it, or is this going to end up being a Windows machine? There's no such thing as G-Force on linux, right?

warpywarp

Re: Standalone G-Force on standalone hardware?

Post by warpywarp »

just noting here some test results on the mac mini:

720p, 30fps, best - reports energy use as about 50 in activity monitor, but generates less heat and keeps fan speed silent at 1800rpm
720p, 60fps, fastest - reports energy use as about 40 in activity monitor, but generates more heat and keeps fan speed audible above 2500rpm

just interesting that the OS reports higher energy usage with "best 30fps" and yet in the real world it generates less heat than "fastest 60fps"

BTT
Administrator

Post by BTT »

Hello warpywarp

Your best bet is to contact Brandon at SoundSpectrum Support. Just click on SoundSpectrum Support at the top of this page.
Regards BTT

ColorMap Creator for G-Force and Aeon --- SoundSpectrum Forum Administrator.

warpywarp

Post by warpywarp »

will do, thanks!